Best priced high quality BP/wings combo???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skipperbrown

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make the switch from a vest BC to a backplate and wings. My Seaquest vest is in it's 12th year and is beginning to look a little rough.

I'll be exclusively diving single tank saltwater wet. After reading a bunch of posts here I've concluded (either right or wrong) that Halcyon is the most expensive/overpriced and there is money to be saved buying oxycheq, oms, diverite, fredt, abyss, et al.

I'm all for saving money, but when I start looking at package deals of wings, backplate, backplate pocket for sausage, and harness or even buying parts here and there to make up a package, the prices are within about $25 and it becomes a question not of price but of preferred manufacturers. Wings are very closely priced across all manufacturers.

For instance:

COVCI sells the oxycheq bp/wing combo for $470 w/o a sausage pocket (another $40 or so)

Extreme Exposure sells the halcyon Pioneer MC System w/ everything for $495.

I found similiar prices for the diverite and oms systems.

So where is the money to be saved?

I'm leaning towards Oxycheq or Halcyon and price doesn't seem to be a significant issue. Any opinions on these two?

Thanks, Mark

skipperbrown@yahoo.com:
So where is the money to be saved?

Thanks, Mark

The single largest category you can save money in is by using a single piece webbing harness, often referred to as a "Hogarthian" harness. It is probably the least flashy piece on the PB/W system, but in my book the single most important piece if your desire is to be more streamlined and have a less "bulky" rig. The single piece harness is both cheaper and better, in my opinion.

Mark Vlahos

cbfin:
You may want to check out Hammerhead Scuba. They only sell the backplate/harness but the site is definitely worth the look.

http://www.hammerheadscuba.com/

I agree. I just got my backplate from Hammerhead, and it was excellent. If I had it to do again I probably would have paid the extra twenty bucks to have it rigged, because that took me forever. Although, it was probably better for me in the long run to learn how to rig a harness. I picked up my wing from scubatoys.com, Oxycheq.

I got the hammerhead plate and sta as well, great price for both, $99 USD. I then picked up a wing (Halcyon) at my LDS that was on sale and got the harness and cam bands on ebay. Overall very cheap to put together.

I'll throw in a plug for Dive Rite, and Ginnie Springs.

I bought a SS backplate, harness, and the Venture wing from Ginnie for a little over $300.

The Venture is perfect for single tanks, and you don't need a STA with that combo.

You may have to email Ginnie for a price, as I am thinking it may not be on their webpage.

I have been dealing with Connie, she's super nice, great about responding, and appearently, a great diver as well. :wink:

I am planning to get the 905 drysuit in a week or two from them.. WoooHooo! sorry :shakehead

Just my 2cents.

Ken

If you order from Ginnie and Connie isn't available, Betik's your man. He'll do his best to hook you up!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom