Best quality PRESCRIPTION scuba/snorkel mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Sorry I'm certified yet, just a snorkeler for now, but the masks are the same basically sooo I have a question.

I'm tired of contacts, not re ordering for any use so I need a prescription mask. All I can find is sea vision, are they good quality? My prescription isn't too awful (-1.75, -1.00, axis 178) but I just want a good, reliable mask that will last me. Any suggestions? Is Sea Vision the place to go?

I'd prefer to not spend over $200.

I have a TUSA mask that I still use from 1998 with the original lenses. Purchased at the dive shop I took OW course through, I assume the lenses were also from TUSA, but not sure.

On my part I had never cleaned my mask other than rinsing it after dives and cleaned ("really" cleaned with some product) the lenses only a few times.....UNTIL just less than a month ago. My mask fell on the boat and just happened to hit in a way one of the lenses popped out. Fortunately it was after my last dive. When I got home, I took the other lense out, removed the skirt, and cleaned everything before putting it back together. Even the clear skirt that seemed to have layers of whatever made it look translucent is clear again. It looks NEW!!!!!!

I should take better care of it all the time. I guess I'm saying I am happy with the TUSA brand.

Two recommendations:

SeaVision is quite good, fast turnover, and excellent service. My year old SeaVision frame got cracked when my tank fell over onto my gear (my fault, not secured properly). They took it back and only charged me for the replacement frame, and had it back to my office inside a week. Great service and communication.
SeaVisionUSA

If you already own a good quality mask that you really love, I HIGHLY recommend Prescription Dive Masks. I sent them my favorite mask ever (Atomic Aquatics Venom Frameless) and they installed lenses in them. I was worried that adhered lenses would be of less quality, but after getting them back, that fear evaporated. They are little more pricey than SeaVision, but they use VERY high quality products. Just make sure you follow their pupil centering instructions, and advise them when you need the mask back (err on the side of sooner). The owner Linda is a peach, and gives great service/support. Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.

Thanks everyone! I like my current mask, but don't LOVE it, it's a decent panoramic/side view mask I got for $40, it's ok, but the lip is just kind of small on my face (i also have facial hair). I'm gonna go with the sea vision 2200 with prescription lenses. Looks like it should fit perfectly.

Thanks everyone! I like my current mask, but don't LOVE it, it's a decent panoramic/side view mask I got for $40, it's ok, but the lip is just kind of small on my face (i also have facial hair). I'm gonna go with the sea vision 2200 with prescription lenses. Looks like it should fit perfectly.
Great mask! That's the one I have, and it serves as my backup. Happy snorkeling!

Seavision has great lenses.
But with your prescription you are probably fine with off the shelf lenses you can buy at dive shops. -2.0 spherical is a good starting point.

Been using prescription dive masks for almost twenty years. Currently I own two masks by SeaVision, and one mask with lenses by Prescription Dive Masks of San Diego. This is actually my third mask by Prescription Dive Masks.

SeaVision are excellent masks for the price. Lots of options, and really good customer service.
One big advantage of SeaVision is if you have a change of prescription, or you damage a lens, it's not too expensive to get a new replacement lens.

The lenses made by Prescription Dive Masks of San Diego are top shelf quality. Choose your own mask, and they can do whatever you want with it. Very customized. But its doubtful the OP is going to keep the cost under $200. My current gear (Prescription Dive lenses + mask) set me back closer to $600, but I had bifocals and all the options added to the order.

I've worn out a mask, bought a new version of the same mask, disassembled it and switched out the glass with the old glass prescription lenses, and gone another round with it. That's how long the lenses can endure.

Prescription Dive Masks of San Diego also has great customer service. You can call or email them, and tell them which make and model of mask you're considering before you buy it. They'll tell you whether it's a suitable mask for having your particular prescription installed. Low volume masks are not a good choice for me because my prescription is strong and thick. I've had both single glass and twin glass prescription masks, and it doesn't seem to make a big difference.

One thing to deal with is fear of loosing your mask.
Doing a California surf entry wearing my $600 mask with my Paralenz Camera attached, I have something close to $1,300 of hardware strapped to my head!
Nervous times.

K

I had great success with HOME And as I remember it was less than I expected (both eyes different with astigmatism and one lens a bifocal). YOu send them the mask you want & prescription and they do the rest. As I remember it was pretty quick as well.

Back
Top Bottom