Best Regulator set up for under 500$ (1st stage, 2nd stage, and octo)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil89

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
First post! After reading, reading some more, and then talking to my LDS (very small shop), I can't seem to get a good fix on the best regulator set up for under or around 500$. I would like it to be the absolute best I can find for the money. I don't want to have something that doesn't preform well.

Thanks,
Phil

Where do you live? What kind of diving do you plan on doing? Are you ok with buying online and not your LDS? What brands does LDS carry?

After reading, I am sure you have come to the conclusion that there is no "best", just different price ranges and personal preferences

I live in West Virginia, I plan on doing recreational diving, but could easily see myself getting more involved in the sport. My LDS carries Tusa and Sherwood but even so they don't have much to offer in store. I would be okay with buying online.

I have realized there is no "best" but with that being said I mean highest quality for that price range. My LDS also has no where to demo anything so I am really kind of flying blind.

I have to run so this will be brief,

You can get a top of the line single reg set up--octo, spg, etc used for $400-500.

If you see yourself getting more involved look for DIN so that you can use it if you go technical and buy a DIN to Yoke adapter for when you travel/need it. Being in West Virginia, I would probably go with a diaphragm first stage like the apeks, scubapro MK17, or some of the aqualung...look at Aqualung Titan or Legend, and of course...the HOGs.

I came to the same conclusion with the diaphragm first stage. Where do you recommend looking to pick up used gear? Hey, no rush if you have to run and respond later.

Any recommendations on where/what to buy new if I were to go that route?

If anyone else has anything they would recommend feel free to join in.

I got a flea-bay MK-17, 2 G250V's, Halcyon pressure gauge, with myflex hoses... for around $500.....

Anyone think this is a good idea?
Hollis DC2 212 Regulator Hollis 321 Octo Package | eBay
Ive read some good things but my LDS has no experience. The closest dealer is about 2 hours away.
I will keep my eyes peeled for stuff on eBay. The more input the better. I would like to buy within the next couple of days.
Thanks for the input so far.

Anyone think this is a good idea?
Hollis DC2 212 Regulator Hollis 321 Octo Package | eBay
Ive read some good things but my LDS has no experience. The closest dealer is about 2 hours away.
I will keep my eyes peeled for stuff on eBay. The more input the better. I would like to buy within the next couple of days.
Thanks for the input so far.

No a good deal. I have seen DC2/212 combo go on sale for $250 brand new from reputable sellers often enough. Adding 321 2nd stage can't be worth $170. Hollis is OK reg, just make sure you get them at deep discount.

Okay, so Hollis is out, barring a deep discount deal. I wouldn't mind getting something new if it is a good deal. Does anyone have experience with the HOG d1, I don't mind seeing those numbers next to it. Any advise on an octo with it?

I was leaning toward yoke because I don't know if DIN is compatible with the tanks my LDS has.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom