Best signaling devices from the searcher’s point of view - update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glowing egg :D

I have one of these, below, for 10 years. It floats around and flashes like disco light on the back of my head during night dive.

View attachment 450016
I find those flashing lights worn by other divers to be a terrible distraction when I'm diving at night. Perhaps it is because I'm trained to use light signals, and something flashing in my peripheral vision makes me think someone is trying to get my attention. If I ignore it, what if someone DOES want to get my attention? So I don't like the flashing tank lights.

This would say to me that a buddy pair would massively boost their chances of being seen if they split up such that one was on the wave's crest and the other on the trough - and maintained contact via rope / carabiners.
Unfortunately, a 6-sec wave (in open water) is about 184 ft crest-to-crest, so 92 feet crest to trough. That is a LONG way for divers to be separated. And that is the horizontal separation. The length of a line connecting the crest and the trough would be considerably longer.

Last edited:
I find those flashing lights worn by other divers to be a terrible distraction when I'm diving at night. Perhaps it is because I'm trained to use light signals, and something flashing in my peripheral vision makes me think someone is trying to get my attention. If I ignore it, what if someone DOES want to get my attention? So I don't like the flashing tank lights.

My flashing blue light is more of a flickering blue light, unlike the flashing torchlight or strobe light or torchlight that beams all over the place like someone in panick mode. Everyone sees everyone else setup before jumping into the water. So my flickering blue light before, during and after the dive would be at the same flickering state.

Unfortunately, a 6-sec wave (in open water) is about 184 ft crest-to-crest, so 92 feet crest to trough. That is a LONG way for divers to be separated. And that is the horizontal separation. The length of a line connecting the crest and the trough would be considerably longer.

I guess I’m too dumb to comprehend what you are talking about. This is another reason to get several signaling devices.

In Gulf of Mexico, if the wave would be > 4 feet, we won’t go out. Flower Garden Bank is > 100 Miles from the coast of Galveston. I’ve been in the boat when the wave ~ 6 feet. It’s no fun & going in & out of the water is tricky.

I generally tell students that they need to have something to see and something to hear as far as signaling devices. for both above and below water. To me that's an SMB that has reflective properties attached to a reel for marking above or below the surface, and a whistle for surface, tank banger/rattle stick for getting attention under water.

Obviously, gear up for your dive. A strobe/light is a must for signaling at night.

I guess I’m too dumb to comprehend what you are talking about. This is another reason to get several signaling devices.

In Gulf of Mexico, if the wave would be > 4 feet, we won’t go out. Flower Garden Bank is > 100 Miles from the coast of Galveston. I’ve been in the boat when the wave ~ 6 feet. It’s no fun & going in & out of the water is tricky.
Not 6 ft height, but 6 secs period of the wave. How long it is between two crests at the same place. The distance between two crests, or a crest and a trough, is dependent on the period of the wave.

My flashing blue light is more of a flickering blue light, unlike the flashing torchlight or strobe light or torchlight that beams all over the place like someone in panick mode. Everyone sees everyone else setup before jumping into the water. So my flickering blue light before, during and after the dive would be at the same flickering state.
That's my point. It is not steady...it is on and off. I have one too, so I know what you are talking about. I don't like to dive with someone who has one....they don't see it, but I do. It is distracting, and could be dangerous if I were to ignore it, because then I might miss an actual distress signal.

That's my point. It is not steady...it is on and off. I have one too, so I know what you are talking about. I don't like to dive with someone who has one....they don't see it, but I do. It is distracting, and could be dangerous if I were to ignore it, because then I might miss an actual distress signal.

Do you have a recommendation for a non-flashing tank marker light? I’m in the market for one. Not too expensive would be nice.

Do you have a recommendation for a non-flashing tank marker light? I’m in the market for one. Not too expensive would be nice.
The same one Dan_T showed a picture of is also available in a non-flashing model, and is $2 cheaper than the flashing model, and in various colors. Blue is nice, it doesn't get absorbed the way red does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom