Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The distance a searcher is going to be able to see that is not going to very good .. you should investigate any of the links I posted as to thoughts/results of using a laser

Reposting this to a good thread with important information so that others can gain from it.

EVERYONE ... you need to save this, a very good, if long, read on rescue trials of signaling equipment conducted in real world conditions in the Scapa Flow ... How far can you see me? ... Diver location trials: Introduction

And this .. Equipped to Survive ... Signaling.. EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - SIGNALING GROUP ... and there is a treasure trove of good information in the rest of the site ... Survival Gear and Equipment Evaluations - EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm)

and this .. Radar Detectable SMB ....
Quality Diving Equipment by Custom Divers - SEEKER - RADAR DETECTABLE SMB

I skimmed the first article. Interesting conclusions. Should be noted however, that the article is from 1999, long before the advent of PLBs.
The Equipped to Survive article was written in 2005. Good stuff.

Reactions: D_B
FWIW-

SOLAS refers to "Safety of Life at Sea" and can be found at
International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), 1974

Basically it is a treaty backed by an international committee to set standards for safety equipment. If you are a boater and you buy marine rocket flares, they may cost 5x more if you buy the "SOLAS approved" ones. But those will be parachute flares, which have an incredibly greater visibility and other differences from the cheapies.

With "SOLAS reflective tape" (available from 3M and others) the approved tape has a hexagonal pattern of reinforcement in it, very visible to the eye. It should also meets standards for how reflective it is, how flexible it is (purpose of the hexagonal grid) and how good the adhesive is. 3M makes these tapes in a variety of colors and sizes, eve in large sheet rolls for outdoor signage. If you buy "DOT conspicuity tape" that's the red-white-red-white stuff that is used to mark off tractor trailers, and it is often way the least expensive because of the larger market. And while not very flexible, it has a permanent adhesive.

the important parts are the fact that they did it outside in real weather .. their data is one of the reasons I went with a florescent yellow SMB instead of an fluorescent red one

I think it was ISAF, now renamed "World Sailing" who conducted similar tests on high visibility colors for PFDs and other materials for man-overboard garments and markers some years ago. Their conclusion was that chartreuse, aka "hi viz lime green" was the best color when all sea conditions were considered, including time of day, since the setting/rising sun can make everything appear amber to red. Which is why the hoods on offshore foul-weather gear are often lime green, regardless of the rest of the garment color.
Of course if BC's were made in bright colors again instead of black...SMB's might be less profitable. Or necessary.

a SMB can stick up above, and still be visible in waves
I always carry mine, it's bungeed/tucked under my wing of my BC like I've seen some carry on BP & W

"a SMB can stick up"
Of course it can.
Then again, it can leak, fail, get lost, get torn off, get left home, be more clutter on the diver. Heck, rolled tightly mine is still bulkier than my octopus!
So while the SMB may still have some advantages, a brightly colored BC, especially one with "shoulders" like a jacket, can't get lost, left home, all that good stuff. And it still presents a large mass of potentially high visibility "PFD" just like the SAR guys are used to looking for in boating mishaps.
IOW, there's no burden, financial or otherwise, on the diver to wear one. Except, the entire industry has decided that you should not have the option of enhanced safety.

I understand there is a lot of *you're not a serious diver if you're not wearing black* mentality prevalent but there are still plenty of color options in gear choice, rash guards, wetsuits, drysuits, head gear, fins, wings, straps .. that you could use in a way to be as visible as possible

A small light, a signalling mirror, are inside my BC, a small BC knife on my strap, and the SMB is bungeed to the plate ... they do not take up room or count as much clutter, even when diving in kelp ... and along with a compass they are taken with me on every dive.

SMB_bungee_1.jpg

You have the option of taking signalling gear or not , there are many who do not and get by just fine .. that does not make it a prudent decision

I have been "lost" a few times and the Coast Guard has had to look for me. One thing to consider, those large SMB are VERY difficult and tiring to hold vertical for more than 15-20 minutes, especially if it is rough. One option to consider is to tie/clip/attach the weight belt (after it is removed from the diver) to the bottom of the SMB to allow it to stand vertically in the water "on its own". Then you just need to stay attached to the SMB not support it and NOT try to hold the bottom of it down.
My SMB has a strap on the bottom. I can put my foot in it and hug the top part and keep it upright fairly easily.

Back
Top Bottom