• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Best snorkeling Florida Keys based on Reef Health?

Discussion in 'Snorkeling & Freediving' started by LandlockedDVR, Feb 19, 2021.

1. LandlockedDVR

LandlockedDVR Garibaldi

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Florida native, diver since 1970s but haven't visited Keys since the 80s. Strictly snorkeling now- wanna check out any decent living reefs in the Keys, based on what divers say :) Don't wanna fly (or I'd be in Raja Ampat!) so we'll drive from home in Central Florida to Key Largo and beyond. Best fish and corals I saw in over 20+ years in FL was Looe Key- any corals and somewhat fishy" reefs left to visit? Planning to drive down in late April or May 2021. Can't quite squeeze the budget for Dry Tortugas or a liveaboard. Not targeting springs- need a saltwater fix! TIA for your reccos!

2. tomfcrist

tomfcrist NAUI Instructor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    The better reefs are in Key largo these days. Looe is still ok for fish, but the reef doesn’t look so hot.

3. Capt Jim Wyatt

Capt Jim Wyatt Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop Staff Member

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Molasses Reef off of Key Largo is beautiful for scuba and snorkeling.

4. jadairiii

jadairiii Solo Diver

Marathon. Hands down. Key Largo is hammered, and Looe Key is just as bad. Key West area is ok, but lot of dead reef. Coffin Patch is nice and Sombrero is also nice, especially the "deeper" sections.

Islamorada would be my second choice. Both of those areas, relatively speaking, get a lot less traffic then Key Largo.

5. Capt Jim Wyatt

Molasses is not hammered...I have been doing the Keys since 1967 -- Molasses looks better than most all the reefs.

6. jadairiii

jadairiii Solo Diver

Me too. And Marathon/Islamorada/Key West Reefs from about 1975. Last time I was on Molasses, summer before covid, it looked bad, to me. And I was diving Marathon in August.

I was dove French, it was completely dead. In all fairness, last time I did a dive on French was in 1976, which I shot pictures of. It was shocking what has happened to French Reef.

7. Capt Jim Wyatt

French is all but dead...

8. jadairiii

jadairiii Solo Diver

Unfortunately we are witnesses to the devastation of the keys. As bad as the ocean side is, the bay side off Marathon is even worse. The days of searching crystal clear water for lobsters while on the bow of a boat are long gone.