Best spearfishing stringer for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking that would be the type i would need.

There are similar metal stringers out there with a large handle on the top side. I'm not a big fan of clipping off a stringer of fish, but I dive where there are sharks and cuda aplenty.

Yep.
Balance the need of a sharp tip to penetrate the fish with the real threat of an accidental puncture of the diver.
Do not clip off or have a hard attachment.
Safety pin shape is easier to string fish than circle style.
Never a bad idea to have a small SMB on the stringer to lift it,in case of shark/jewfish or if the fish is heavy negative.

I've found with a stringer of fish dangling from you with a length of cable, that if you're not watching, you may find yourself going for a "ride". Clipping your stringer close to you, after dispatching the fish of course, sharks usually won't mess with you... usually.

I prefer the one handed open end stringer. Much more efficient and reliable when you are fighting a fish. I've had the other type pop open on me with green fish.
If you run it through a D ring, the point will always face down. You'll always know where it's at and you won't get poked. Or carry it. .
I'm lucky and have never needed a break away system for my stringer. Mine is always in my hand or tight to my body.

One Handed Fish Stringer : Depth Perception

Last edited:
I use one similar to Waterboy. Much prefer that one, as the freshly shot fish can be strung through the eyes (unless it's a triggerfish) without opening the stringer. It's not unusual to get poked while stringing a fish, and if you follow the below sequence, your odds of losing any of the fish is greatly diminished. This sequence is not possible with the first stringer above.

Shoot fish (can reload if you carry multiple shafts)
String through eyes
Open stringer
Slide fish onto striger
Close stringer
Remove shaft from fish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom