Best switch type and power for backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAM001

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for input on the prefered switch type for backup lights. I find mag switch, manual switch, twist heads, ect. Also what is the normal light brightness that is used. I know this will start the lux lumen thing however I need start point. Perhapd beam width is something i need to consider also.

thanks

Twist on twist off...keep it simple. These are especially easy to use with dry-gloves.

Now....if you want a sweet back up light...check out the Heser lights. They are not cheap...they run about $300 and are imported from I think Germany...but they are so nice. The battery tube (c batteries x3) is solid and transfers "heat" back to the batteries. The LED is now a 4 watt LED, and I have used the 3 watt before and it is comparable to a 10 watt HID with a tight beam. I can't wait to get the 4 watt! A description:
http://www.deepstop.de/heser-backup-selected-p-429.html?language=enhttp://www.dirdirect.com/Heser-LED-Torch.html but....you should be able to source them in the US somewhere...

Other LED lights out there...Halcyon, Light Monkey, Princton...all are great lights...all twist on, twist off.

I really like the rotating magnetic collar on the old Solus back up. Power guess depends on what its a back up for? for rec diving I find 250lumens and anything from 6-10 degrees just fine (I have owned several types Solus, OMS vega K2, Intova, MB sub, Tusa wide).

Back
Top Bottom