Best third party drysuit repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

211ratsbud

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Who's the best third party drysuit repair center out there? I have a suit in need of a superior integrated boot and a couple of lighter add-ons.

Gamble's in Gainesville.

(352) 379-0653 • Work
Gambles is definitely somebody to talk to. Superior Diving Repair is another (218-825-7009). I have had friends with an excellent experience with Gambles and I have had an excellent experience with Superior. Don't think you can go wrong with either one of these two choices. Give them both a call, discuss what you want, and decide.

I sent my tri-lam to Dive Right In Scuba.

They removed the attached boots and put on neoprene socks, lengthened the sleeves 2 inches and added the permanent Kubi dry glove rings, and installed the Si Tech Quick Neck system. I am very happy with my suit.

I sent my tri-lam to Dive Right In Scuba.

They removed the attached boots and put on neoprene socks, lengthened the sleeves 2 inches and added the permanent Kubi dry glove rings, and installed the Si Tech Quick Neck system. I am very happy with my suit.

Tell me more about perm kubi rings on your suit

Divers Cove in Essex, CT. Have been around forever. And they service all of the gear and suits for the USN sub base in Groton, CT. Very reasonable and quick. Much closer to NY as well.

Not that I would discount either shop above, I can only speak on the behalf of the shops I have used.

Tell me more about perm kubi rings on your suit

What's to tell?

I had the non-permanent Kubi rings for over a year. Never had a leak - except for one time when I got a pinhole in my glove. I liked them so much, and I liked my Waterproof D9X so much that I decided to get the suit updated to let me use replaceable silicone seals. So, I had the Kubi rings installed at the wrists and the Si Tech Quick Neck installed.

The Kubi rings just WORK. No leaks. No muss, no fuss to don/doff the dry gloves. The only trick at all is to put a little grease on the O-ring of the glove/wrist joint every now and then. When those O-rings are dry, the gloves are a serious B**** to don. Meaning, the ring of the glove does not want to slide into the ring on the suit. And if you manage it, they don't want to come apart, either. But, with just a little tiny bit of silicone grease once a year or so, they go together so easily you'd think they would pop apart on their own or leak. But they don't.

No tabs to align. Nothing to break. Only O-rings that you'd ever have to possibly replace. No twisting to put them together. All metal (except the O-rings). Easy to don last, right before you get in the water. Lets you keep your wrist seal AND have a dry glove, if you want. Or you could completely ditch the wrist seal and just use the dry glove.

My first time out with the permanent wrist rings, I found a cut in one of my new silicone wrist seals. I was diving the Oriskany, so the water was warm and I wasn't using dry gloves. I was only diving dry for the redundant buoyancy. I had spare seals and it literally took maybe 5 minutes to swap the seal out for a new one. If I had not had a spare, I would have just worn my dry gloves for the dive.

And I really like that the rings are available in different sizes, so you can get the smallest rings that will work for you. I'm 6' 1" and my hands take a size L or XL glove, depending on what kind of gloves you're talking about. Most of my glove experience is with motorcycle racing gloves. I use the 80mm Kubi rings. With medium weight glove liners on, I can just slip my hands through the rings to get them on.

I also like that the glove rings will take generic rubber gloves. The actual dry gloves I use are the same ones that originally came with the rings. Ansell G17K. I think they are 30mil and available in metric sizes from 6.5 on up. My first pair lasted me a full year before they finally got a pinhole. I get replacements from Zoro.com for $2/pair and they will sell them in individual pairs at that price, with very reasonable shipping.

The Kubi stuff is expensive, but it's worth it to me! Simple, streamlined, and reliable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom