Best time for liveaboard Galapagos? Hammerheads? Online sources are very contradictory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

el-gee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dear all
I am having a hard time reconciling all sources regarding Galapagos diving. It seems evident that Jan to may is nicer and warmer and June to December is colder, and it also seems evident that whale shark season is June onwards.
But what about the schooling hammerheads and other sharks? Different sources say different things. Any thoughts on this based on experience or word of mouth? I was going to wait for early next year to go, as my attempt is to see schooling hammers, but now I'm wondering if I should just go this summer. Your thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

We were there at the end of April 2017 and did a number of dives with countless, schooling hammerheads.

I have been there twice. The first time we saw hundreds of schooling hammerheads. The second time, during an El Nino, we saw pairs of hammerheads.
As long as it is NOT an El Nino year you should be ok.

Thank you. About to book for November 2017. Are we in El Nino year?!

Looks promising. Also looks like there are more hammers in the first half if the year than second half

Galapagos Hammerheads

Spectacular. So this is August? I'm really going crazy in trying to figure out the best time of the year for these guys. We think nowadays the internet has answers for everything and here I am left completely clueless on the question "what's the best hammer time in the Galapagos", such is the variedness of the different information sources

Back
Top Bottom