Best undergarment choice for semi-warm water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

techapma

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just scored a great deal on a used Fusion Sport suit. I'm wondering what the best choice in undergarment for 75-80 degree water with air temps in a similar range? I recently dove in those conditions with a 3mm suit/hood/gloves and froze after about 10 minutes in the water.

I assume I will mainly need something to absorb/wick perspiration. Are Cotton long johns a good choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cotton is not a good choice as it does not wick water away from your skin and you will chill. I currently use a merino wool base layer.

Wool is probably the only fabric that retains its warmth-providing nature when wet. I haven't dived dry, but from what I have seen online, dry suits sometimes leak (and even flood). My guess is that Merino wool pair of long johns would be an excellent base layer. Maybe cover with a fleece type undergarment.

Cotton is notoriously bad for warmth when wet.

I use the 4th Xerothrem for diving in the florida springs, average water temps is 70-73. I dive this setup year round even on 90 degree days.

Im a huge fan of the Xerothrem and at least 3 of the guys i dive with all use the Xerotherm under their drysuits even though we each dive a different suit. 1 dives a Zeagle drysuit, 1 a hollis BX200 and i dive a Bare next gen.

Even if you get a leak the Xerotherm will keep you warm without being too hot.

The Xerotherm is low loft and does not trap air which makes managing the bubble in your suit pretty easy.

Hope this helps.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Look for the sport long underwear. They will not be made of cotton and will wick your sweat away. I did this under my crushed neo and found it more than plenty.

+1 on the Xerotherm. It is 250 gram powerstretch fleece. The Arctic undergarment is a double layer of the same material.

If cost is a factor (and I assume it is, since you bought a second-hand drysuit...like I did :) ), there are a couple of options much less expensive than Xerotherm.

You could try Colleen at Wicking Long Underware , or the guy on evilbay that has a thread in this section (under "cheap undergarments" or something...flick back a few pages).

D

Have a look at this company: softweardiving.com
Custom made and affordable...I had a 200 gram undergarment made for me and it fits great and is very warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom