Best underwater settings for GoPro 8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shadow5868

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone!
Just got a GoPro 8 Black. I was reading all about and saw you could make a custom preset and I was wondering what the best settings are for shooting diving videos. 4K, 2.7K, 1440P, or 1080? 30 or 60 frames per second? 16:9 or 4:3? What lens setting?
Thank you all for any advice.

I have the 7.
My UW video is produced for my YouTube channel, Facebook, GMB etc.
Initially I started shooting in 4K for the extra detail. I discovered then that :
The extra detail is not noticeable.
4K is slow to edit, even though I have a very fast PC, SSD drives etc.
So I dropped to 2K:
Faster to edit.
Camera battery lasts much longer.
I can still crop to 0.8 or so without noticeable loss of quality.
As for frame rate I use 60 fps, this allows me to slow motion without loss of quality as I output to 30 fps.
So 2K at 60 fps is a good compromise.

I have a 1,500 lumens video light and a tray.
Also I find a red filter is needed for larger shots.

Take a look at the newer stuff on my YouTube channel, it's not perfect but it ain"t bad at all.

Plenty of great tips if you google. But recollecting from memory, happy to list some -
The stabilization features are only available in 16:9 (the hero actually records 4:3 internally then crops the edges to give you the smooth 16:9 footage, so if you choose 4:3 then no stabilization is available). Choose the highest 16:9 rez below 4k as advised above. PAL 50fps is lower than 60 and should allow for better IQ in low light conditions. You need to shoot at these higher frame rates for the built-in image stabilization to smoothen out the video nicely. Set a manual shutter speed of 2x the frame-rate whatever you choose - so if 50 then 100 if 60 then 120. If you are willing to deal with a desktop video editor (DVE) and post-processing with color grading then you can set protune/flat/native/raw WB with low/medium sharpening. I strongly recommend a red filter - while the folks with $3000 worth of gear may disagree - ignore their advice for now and start with one - especially if you are unfamiliar with DVEs and their workflow. If you cannot get too close to the subjects start with linear FOV.

Cheers
HTH
P

Back
Top Bottom