Best Value Lenses (Wide-Angle and Macro) for Canon S95 - Ikelite Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First of all, I can assure you that I've tried to search for this continuously, but there is a lot of confusing information. I know almost nothing about wet lenses.

All I know about the the S95 Ikelite Housing is that it accepts 67mm threaded wide angle or macro lenses. However, when looking through the products at online sites, a lot of the 67mm ones are made for different camera set-ups, except for the Ikelite ones.

Also, I'm not sure what to look for (what is better and compatible), and a lot of the sites don't have any information other than the lens name and price. I just don't want to order something and find that it's incompatible, because that's wasted shipping and customs costs.

I'm just asking for some sort of direction or suggestions.
:( Thanks in advance!

well, you can buy adapters to fit non-67mm inon lenses to the 67mm thread but using them will cause some vignetting (i tried this on my old ike set up). the 67mm inon lenses tend to cost more than their LD/AD versions so i would discount inon as a best value. you can get subsee/dyron macro/diopters and ike WA lenses...i prefer the WA110 from bluewater if you're gonna go with a 67mm threaded WA lens...but i am sure the inon UWLH100 M67 will work as well (but will cost a bit more).

Not sure on all magnifications but you can get the subsee in +5 & 10...and +7 in dyron. I was told stacked inons are +7.

That is the wrong lens and will vignette as it is designed for 35mm equivalent

For the S95 the correct one is the Inon UWL-H100 28M67 Type 1 Wide Angle Conversion Lens [ino.456212143632] - $521.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

The Type 1 thread is required as Ikelite has recessed window compared to the thread. This will give you 100 degrees and no vignetting at later stage you can also add a dome port to take it to 145 degrees

If you use a type 2 or you get an epoque lens such as DCL-30 the lens will sit further away from the port and will vignette. You will need to zoom in a little to remove that and loose some field of view

The 28M67 series have been completely redesigned for the new generation of camera and don't vignette at 28 and with some housings even at 24 there is no vignette

Thanks, chile. I was thinking about the Inon UWL-100 Type 2 Wide Angle Conversion Lens [ino.456212143159] - $395.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros , and I wanted to confirm that I'd use the Type II for my set-up. I'll also look at your other suggestions.

From what I have read, Inon seems to be the go-to brand for lenses. How much less magnification are the less expensive brands (WA and Macro)?

I am pretty sure ikelite housing for Canon PowerShot S100

Ikelite have more distance between the thread and the port. A type II will screw in but the lens will be further away and will vignette as the Epoque lens DCL-30 does as the lens does not protrude enough. To be safe ask an Inon dealer, cameras underwater in UK are and the webpage there is pretty clear you need a protruding back element. Moreover you can buy later a type II adapter if you change housing.

Back
Top Bottom