Best value location for PADI Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm from the Adirondaks, so I prefer cold too. What thickness of wet suit do you use, or do you use dry?

Depends on water temp and air temp. I generally dive dry now, but I’ll also use a 5 or 7mm. Also depends on gear configuration. If I dive sidemount, I’m seriously overweighted in a 3mm with 2 steel HP80s. It’s better in 5 or 7mm with SM, or dry.

Not much use as they’re club based and you need regular access for training purposes.
Although the main part of BSAC is club based, we do have commercial outlets, predominantly located in Europe.

In SE Asia we have BSAC Japan, BSAC Korea and BSAC Thailand

Our training is ISO accredited, a requirement in more countries each year. PADI and GUE are also ISO accredited.

Ask @boulderjohn, I think he may even offer a class :D

Not really. I used to dive in Lake Tahoe. Basically shallower depths at elevation are equivalent to deeper depths at sea level due to the difference in atmospheric pressure when you get out of the water. I used to dive in Lake Tahoe. The bigger deal is waiting long enough to cross mountain passes. IIRC correctly, Lake Tahoe is at about 6400 feet, and the lowest mountain pass I had to get across the border was 7500.

If you were take a class locally to you they'd have this under control.
Crossing a pass at 7500 feet after diving at 6,400 feet should not be an issue. It is generally believed that an ascent of less than 2,000 feet may be made at any time after diving. Although there is no good way to quantify it as far as I know, that 2,000 foot limit SHOULD also vary by starting altitude--a 2,000 feet ascent starting at sea level is more serious than a 2,000 foot ascent starting at 6,400 feet.

My resources page has some articles on diving at altitude and ascending to altitude after diving if anyone is interested.

Crossing a pass at 7500 feet after diving at 6,400 feet should not be an issue. It is generally believed that an ascent of less than 2,000 feet may be made at any time after diving. Although there is no good way to quantify it as far as I know, that 2,000 foot limit SHOULD also vary by starting altitude--a 2,000 feet ascent starting at sea level is more serious than a 2,000 foot ascent starting at 6,400 feet.

My resources page has some articles on diving at altitude and ascending to altitude after diving if anyone is interested.
Interesting. While there is no student manual for me to refer to (and I never looked at any IG), I do have a table somewhere. If my memory serves me at all (and this was over 3 years ago), I was supposed to wait 6 hours (which I never did) before attempting going over the passes.

I did get some strong headaches as a result.

Interesting. While there is no student manual for me to refer to (and I never looked at any IG), I do have a table somewhere. If my memory serves me at all (and this was over 3 years ago), I was supposed to wait 6 hours (which I never did) before attempting going over the passes.

I did get some strong headaches as a result.
I have never heard of a 6 hour rule for an ascent to altitude. Both NOAA and the US Navy have tables that can be used for ascending to varying altitudes after diving, but they require that you use the US Navy tables (or tables that follow them). They are on my resources page, and they are explained in more detail here.

I have never heard of a 6 hour rule for an ascent to altitude. Both NOAA and the US Navy have tables that can be used for ascending to varying altitudes after diving, but they require that you use the US Navy tables (or tales that follow them). They are on my resources page, and they are explained in more detail here.

John,

Thanks. I was looking at that. I’ll reach out to my instructor to find out the basis of what I remember (and my memory could be completely incorrect).

John,

Thanks. I was looking at that. I’ll reach out to my instructor to find out the basis of what I remember (and my memory could be completely incorrect).
It could be a rule your instructor made up, and there is no harm in that. In fact, it is a necessity.

As I mention in my article, there is no really reliable information on ascents to altitude like that. Before I wrote my article, I consulted with several world-renowned experts on decompression theory and asked them to help me write it. They quite rightly and quite politely refused. There is no solid research on it, and they did not want to have their names associated with anything that looks like advice and is not founded on solid science. I decided to go ahead anyway, and my article is carefully worded to say that I am only providing access to resources that will help you make up your own mind and not in any way telling you what to do.

I regularly have to ascend to altitude after diving, often after a deep decompression dive. In order to do this, I have had to come up with my own personal set of rules based upon my own interpretation of those resources, and I have had to talk to my students about it. I tell them what I do, but I also tell them that what they do is their decision. Your instructor had to do the same thing, and perhaps the 6 hour rule was his personal decision. It could also be him repeating what he was told by someone else who also had to make such a decision.

So here is a controversial idea that is not in my article.

Let's say you use a computer like a Shearwater that keeps track of your tissue off-gassing during your surface interval. Let's say you have set your gradient factors in it to numbers with which you are sure you will be safe. During a decompression dive, you can look at a readout of how your tissues are doing in respect to those gradient factors as the computer tracks your ascent. It will continue to track that during your surface interval. That tracking is done in relation to ambient pressure, which depends primarily upon your altitude.

In theory, you can keep track of that and make sure you stay within safe gradient factors as you ascend in altitude, just as you would during an ascent on your dive. Asked about that, Shearwater would not commit to it, saying that before ascending to altitude, you should follow flying after diving guidelines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom