Best video format and encoding settings for the web

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlodel

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea on what would be the best video format for the web these days? I've been playing around encoding settings for both WMV and Quicktime but I can't seem to get the optimum encoding setting to get the right quality with the acceptable download file size for my diving videos.

Can anybody share what video format and encoding settings you use to publish your videos for the web? (i.e. WMV 500 bit rate, Two-pass VBR etc...)

Thanks in advance!

I generally use WMV's and adjust the bit rate for SB to make them fit (if this is possible)

Otherwise I use 500-750k WMV's because they STREAM automatically, and don't have to download all the way, and that bit rate is good quality...

Since the vast majority of people use windows... windows media is generally available and easy to use.

carlodel:
Anyone have an idea on what would be the best video format for the web these days? I've been playing around encoding settings for both WMV and Quicktime but I can't seem to get the optimum encoding setting to get the right quality with the acceptable download file size for my diving videos.

Can anybody share what video format and encoding settings you use to publish your videos for the web? (i.e. WMV 500 bit rate, Two-pass VBR etc...)

Thanks in advance!

I like to use Microsoft Media Encoder. You can download it free and has a variety of settings to let you decide the balance of file size and quality. 2-pass vbr will result in smaller file size.

I don't remember my exact settings. I usually experiment with a 30 second sample clip and try different settings until I'm happy with the quality and file size.

File size of the final video can be calculated using the 30 second clip as a guideline. For example, a 5 minute video will be 10 times the file size as the 30 second clip.

was given a bit of a challenge a few months back on another board and at PAPA's suggestion, "Try playing around with your compression to find something that gives a decent quality and uses up a relatively small amount of space. "

http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=14993

Ok, so here's the scoop: i took a 1 minute segment of my Bonaire HighLights video that consisted of a nice mix of transitions and varied colours and lots of blues. i rendered it in via PPro 1.5 to GENERIC MPG. the kind i would use for the source in generating my DVDs. i then began the ardorous task of rendering it in every conceivable combination i could find. Here are the results. you guys are welcome to download the different vids and maybe we can 'find' that happy medium.

http://piddlefish.servepics.com/SCUBA/video-1minTest.html

have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom