Best videos on improving trim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ls1dreams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have a recommended video on improving trim? I'm sure that I often end up fairly vertical while diving, though would need video or someone else in person to see my true technique.

Maybe something from GUE or DIR? (if that makes sense for a beginner)

Trim is as much about where the weight is as it is about form. Trim is basicly where the weight is in relation to the center of gravity. If you are foot heavy you need to move weight higher up on your body. If you are foot light move weight farther down on your body. If you are over weighted getting the right amount of weight where you need it is hard because there is do much extra ballast in places you may not need it.

Get your weighting and bouyancy dialed in and then move weight or body position to get into trim.

the key to good trim is you will feel like you are head down when you get flat. You can practice the body position while being on land by laying prone on the floor and bending your knees to 90*. Arch your back so that your chest and knees are off the floor. It's a very weird feeling position at first.

On how to do it, the best thing is to get in a pool and have a good sized mirror for instant feedback. You know what it is supposed to look like, but any lag whatsoever removes efficiency of learning for stuff like this so having a mirror is key. Unfortunately very few if any places you are going to find will have them so you may be able to get a cheap target full body mirror or something and bring it in the water with you. Have a buddy hold it or prop it up and look at yourself. Next best thing is to learn to hover in the shallow end of a swimming pool. If you go into bad trim your knees will hit the floor, and feet or head hit the surface.

Yes, what tbone said. For single tank, it has a lot more to do with body posture than equipments. I want to make one small adjustment to Tbone's suggestion. Instead of arch your back, you should tighten your glute. And I don't think a mirror underwater is practical at all, better use a buddy. Have him/her video you will be nice too. You will probably find what you think and what you are doing is quite different. And don't worry, that is part of the learning, everyone gone through that.

Yes, what tbone said. For single tank, it has a lot more to do with body posture than equipments. I want to make one small adjustment to Tbone's suggestion. Instead of arch your back, you should tighten your glute. And I don't think a mirror underwater is practical at all, better use a buddy. Have him/her video you will be nice too. You will probably find what you think and what you are doing is quite different. And don't worry, that is part of the learning, everyone gone through that.

it's not easy and may not be practical unless you are in a pool or controlled quarry type area, but it is by far the best way to improve trim because it is the only way to get instant feedback. You can make subtle changes to your body and instantly see the feedback as well as look in the mirror and know exactly what it is supposed to look like and see how it feels when you get to that point. Buddy feedback is great, but it's nothing like looking in a mirror

we train with them lining the full wall of the dive well, it makes life so much easier

Back
Top Bottom