Best viz in the Great Lakes region. Using a DH reg to boot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fancy shmancy new gear one of these days I'll get into that. You guys take naps on those wrecks with all the bottom time you get?
I like the price if open circuit but fear I may need to look closer at Rebreathers as the Guinilda sp? is high up on my bucket list and the thought of hours of deco in Lake Superior isn't very appealing to me.

I'm still an OC guy but did a few mix dives this year on a new wreck near Tobermory. As I looked at each bubble of exhaust gas at 200' and figured it was worth about $10. If you're doing much mix diving, a RB payback wouldn't be horrible. Although once you work in sorb and replacing sensors, it still takes a while.

I'm still an OC guy but did a few mix dives this year on a new wreck near Tobermory. As I looked at each bubble of exhaust gas at 200' and figured it was worth about $10. If you're doing much mix diving, a RB payback wouldn't be horrible. Although once you work in sorb and replacing sensors, it still takes a while.

I’m doing Helitrox with Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures next year. My shop currently charges $3/cft for He. I’m looking at about $90 just for helium for a mix with 20% He on my HP80 doubles. Still trying to get my mind around that, but I get narced bad at 130ft, so I definitely want it for 150ft, especially with the photography I do.

I’m doing Helitrox with Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures next year. My shop currently charges $3/cft. I’m looking at about $90 just for helium for a mix with 20% He on my HP80 doubles. Still trying to get my mind around that, but I get narced bad at 130ft, so I definitely want it for 150fr, especially with the photography I do.

My camera is my "canary in the coal mine". When I look at the back of the housing and go "So many buttons..." I know I probably shouldn't be there. :)

My camera is my "canary in the coal mine". When I look at the back of the housing and go "So many buttons..." I know I probably shouldn't be there. :)

:D I didn’t carry my camera on the 130ft dive where I got so narced. I knew better. My camera is a little Intova that’s like a GoPro but built into the housing and has nice large buttons that are fabulous with dry gloves. I have it on a loop of bungee and clipped off to a shoulder D ring. I just let it hang there until I need it. It’s about the size of my hand. I’m still deciding what I want to do about a better camera. I love not having to hold onto mine for an entire dive.

New wreck, or newly discovered? Sounds fun. but is this common knowledge or a secret that may or may not be shared anytime soon?

I'm hear you on the cost of gas. Either way, a cheap hobby this is not.

Curious if this wreck is in Bruce or Huron proper...

I’m doing Helitrox with Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures next year. My shop currently charges $3/cft for He. I’m looking at about $90 just for helium for a mix with 20% He on my HP80 doubles. Still trying to get my mind around that, but I get narced bad at 130ft, so I definitely want it for 150ft, especially with the photography I do.

I'd have to draw the line when my air costs more than the dive charter. Whew!
The advantages certainly are there. Are these similar costs to those you see in CA, Stoo?

The advantages certainly are there. Are these similar costs to those you see in CA, Stoo?

The He costs are dependent on local demand. DRIS (my shop) has some demand, but not a ton. The only other shop in IL that sells He charges even more.

Don, I have deeper wrecks calling my name. :D The Great Lakes wreck obsession drives me hard.

Ya all of that. Mercifully, I can qualify for "friends and family" discounts at a couple of shops, and a few friends blend their own. But sure... retail for a set of HP 130s and a couple of deco gasses could be $250. I could likely squeeze two dives out of those, but probably shouldn't.

Ya all of that. Mercifully, I can qualify for "friends and family" discounts at a couple of shops, and a few friends blend their own. But sure... retail for a set of HP 130s and a couple of deco gasses could be $250. I could likely squeeze two dives out of those, but probably shouldn't.

Stoo, for your Mansoo dives this summer, what did you pay just for the He portion?

Stoo, for your Mansoo dives this summer, what did you pay just for the He portion?
I dunno Marie.. I've blocked it out. Maybe $150 or so. I have a range of tank sizes so it varies. I dove 21/21 first round and found that a bit light so went to 18/45 later, although actually got 19/40 or something...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom