Best way to dive and experience Fiji?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KatieMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Next year is our 25th wedding anniversary and would like to plan a trip to Fiji. I have tons of questions. I'd like to go for 2 weeks and may split time between on land and liveaboard. Also need to note that I live in Canada so options for "packages" may be more limited than someone in LA or AUS
  • what time of year is best to go (weather/value)
  • best dive locations (my husband is NOT interested at all in shark dives)
  • resorts that cater to divers?
  • any all-inclusives? That are worthwhile?
  • is it better to rent a house and find a dive shop?
  • When is the water the warmest?
Also would like to experience the island itself.

Any advice on how to approach planning this trip would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I've only been to Fiji once but did a lot of research. Hopefully I can help you plug a few holes.

You generally fly into Nadi and will likely spend a night (or two) on your return from an outer island. The diving is ho-hum and beaches are either paved over mangrove or unattractive sand. If you go out to the Yasawa Islands on a boat you will find postcard Fiji beaches and surfing (think Castaway, it was filmed out there). Not sure about the diving the Yasawas (we snorkeled) but it would be a long boat ride.

Your best options are:
flying (or driving towards) to Suva and going to Beqa Lagoon. A bit sharky. Suva is the capital and has more of a nightlife.

flying to Kaduvu where there a few resorts. You would get the opportunity to hike and kayak. My alternate plan (and plan when I go back) is to stay at Matava Dive Resort. Looks like Aggressor circumnavigates the island as well.

flying to Taveuni and going to dive specific resort. Taveuni (and Nadi) is where I dived. Taveuni is known as the Garden Island and it is lush and gorgeous. The Rainbow Reef is just off the coast and is remarkable. Far better than Bonaire or Roatan. Taveuni Dive Resort has all inclusive packages. The food and bures are great. The island has nice evening and day activities like waterfalls, hikes, birdwatching, and village life.

I went in the winter (July) specifically to avoid cyclones. People will still shudder a bit at the mention of Winston. If you seek warmth then go in the summer but be advised that is the wet season. Fiji wasn't crowded and it was quite affordable in the winter. Not a cheap country to travel to though.

I think you will find this website to be a great resource for determining a number of your questions, including what time of year to go. Fiji

From a land based perspective, I would go to Taveuni for sure. In addition to world class diving, you will get a really good cultural experience and be able to do some other really cool stuff that @Malarky has already mentioned. If you are going to throw in a liveaboard week, then I would book a week on the Naia. Hands down the best on so many levels. For an anniversary trip, you will be stoked: Fiji Liveaboard Diving & Tonga Whale Watching - NAI'A

Speaking of anniversary, congratulations on 25 years. Very rare these days. My wife and I just celebrated 33 last week, ourselves. All the best!

Also some fundamentals on trip planning and the experience:

The main island has social issues between the Indo-Fijians and the native Fijians. Village life is best experienced on the outlying islands or the boonies.
Make sure the taxi runs the meter. Often they will claim it is broken. In that case get out or bargain and expect to get at least 33% off the quoted price.
If you are going in the rainy season (and maybe even in winter) allow a buffer day or two to get back to Nadi. All the guide books said the little propeller flights can get canceled due to weather.
When in Nadi take a cooking class, go to the orchid park, and see the Yasawas.
For Nadi hotels stay in Port Denarau for a nicer time. The places near the airport are okay but typically cater to backpackers.
Try the kava.
They are Melanesian, so avoid tiki torch Polynesian type tourist stuff.

Last edited:
We have been to Fiji nine times and actually lived on Taveuni for a month. I highly recommend Taveuni Ocean Sports which is the dive shop associated with Nakia Eco Resort. Read the reviews in TripAdvisor. They are accurate. Plus it is very affordable. The other thing we liked about Nakia is that it is small and very private and quiet. It would be a mistake to stay anywhere else on Taveuni if you are on a budget.

Stay at Nakia Eco Resort, Dive with their shop, Taveuni Ocean Sports.

The op is top notch and the food is amazing. The owners are great, friendly people who want you to have a memorable time. Check my review.

If you need a beach, Coconut Grove was good too.

Volivoli for land based diving without extra flights. Great diver-centric resort with access to the Bligh Waters, some of the best reefs in the world. NAI'A for liveaboard option. Go May through November... I went last month in April and caught two cyclones... not fun.

Volivoli for land based diving without extra flights. Great diver-centric resort with access to the Bligh Waters, some of the best reefs in the world.

Just the info i've been looking for.
Which would be better for the diving, Ra Divers of VoliVoli resort or Wananevu divers of Wananevu Resort.
Deciding who to stay with now but will be with wifes parents so trying to keep all parties happy.

We had a great experience at Wananavu for our 20th anniversary March 2104 (search my review on here), I just booked airfare to return to Fiji for our 25th and are trying to decode between spending all 11 days on Taveuni or all ant Wananavu or splitting between the two. We went to Volivoli for an evening when we were visiting Raki Raki and it was a nice resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom