Best way to empty an O2 cylinder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Save it for when you need it. 100% O2 is a great hangover cure. :mad:

This! Wait until you have a rough hangover, turn on the TV, and breath 'er down! Works great!

My brother may have :wink: worked for an ambulance company and would use a saline bag and 100% O2 to cure any hangover in 15 mins :p

But the "just use it on a safety stop" idea is pretty solid too

:cheers:

Apparently if you direct 100% O2 directly onto anything flamable (wood, oil etc) it'll self ignite. You could put that to the test for me? :eyebrow:
Strange. I can mix 100% Oxygen with Acetylene and it does absolutely nothing, until I throw a spark at it. Then it burns. Even then I can take that burning mix and bump it against something and snuff the flame. If I don't have a hot ember close by I have to get the striker out and relight the fire.

You still need a source of ignition. Oxygen alone won't make stuff burn. but if something is burning it will make it burn even better.

Apparently if you direct 100% O2 directly onto anything flamable (wood, oil etc) it'll self ignite. You could put that to the test for me? :eyebrow:

Almost true. Even absent a flame, adiabatic heating from high pressure oxygen is enough to provide an ignition source, as in aluminum oxygen regulator fires.
Or, the adiabatic impact can be of the oil on low pressure 100% oxygen:
(Note: there was no "spark" generated in this video; it was impact alone)

Liquid oxygen adds a whole new level. Spilled on asphalt the road surface will burn. There are some good videos of charcoal grills filled with liquid oxygen and charcoal that melt down.

You can't be an idiot around compressed oxygen, just a little respect and everything will be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom