Best way to get to utilla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Montana Tom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking forward to January 2018, Would love to try Utilla. We have done Roatan, Bonaire, Cayman Brac.

Looking at other forums it looks like the ferry is from Mainland Honduras to Utilla, or goes to the Mainland and then to Utilla. I am hoping to do a direct from Roatan to Utilla. Coming from Montana my flight wouldn't arrive RTB until 1:10 so would need to be a later ferry as the one I saw left at 1. Would rather not have to spend a night on Roatan. Also don't want to break the bank.

I did see a couple notes on private boats, but am hoping for some updates on $$ and schedules.

I am also open to thoughts and input on Dive Ops etc. We are recreational divers and would be there for a month, so doing more of a vacation with diving rather than a dive vacation.

Thanks for any info,
Tom

We traveled there last year with 2 other couples. Flew into Roatan and used Island Air (Roatan Flights | Island Air, Bay Islands Flights). It was pricey, ~$250/couple RT. It is the easiest and quickest way. You might want to look at Utila Buy & Sell on Facebook (Search) for other flights and especially lodging. The cheapest and slowest way to get there is on the Lady Julia ferry with Captain Dillard. Be sure and check with him on schedules/pricing. He docks at West End on Roatan so you would have to taxi to West End from the airport, no big deal though. We did our diving with Bay Island College of Diving (Bay Islands College of Diving - Dive Shop Utila), which is associated with Utila Lodge (Utila Lodge). Both owned by the same people. If you are staying for a month, I would suggest renting a house. Again, check with Utila Buy & Sell on FB for many rentals or AirBNB. Many places don't have AC so keep that in mind also. I have attached the Lady Julia flyer for contact info. I love Utila, take plenty of Deep Woods Off though!
Lady Julia.jpg

Ithomas132,
Thank you for your info. We are already planning on a house rental and have a couple in mind. I did see there are a couple of other private boats and I will contact them. Bush's private charter is one. I was just hoping to hear from someone who had used them before.
Is there any shore diving? Prices look very reasonable for boat dives, but sometimes we just feel like going on our own pace and time rather than on a boat.

The easiest and best way to get to Utila is to fly into San Pedro Sula, land on a Saturday and take the direct flight to Utila on CM airlines. Flying into Roatan just seems like a lot of extra hassle and expense, On CM, you'll land on the island at about 3:30 pm which will give you lots of daylight left to get to, or move into your rental house. Set it up right and you'll have to spend maybe 3 hours in SAP before jumping on the island hopper. Also, the CM flight departs Utila for the return flight to SAP at something like 9:30am so there's none of this being at UII at daybreak hassle.

Not affiliated with CM airlines in any way, just lazy and it takes me four planes to get here.

There is a new ferry running out of Coxen Hole to Utila, when I go into town today I will get the info for you and post it up

So, as you can see, there are several ways to get there. Just depends on how you want to do it. The diving is just as good as Roatan but not as crowded. As far as I know, there is no shore diving. Great little island without the traffic (just a handful of autos) but many tuk-tuks & cycles. Hell, there's only one semi-paved road! Very, very laid back. Have fun!

There is shore diving from a couple of the resorts out of town, but you'd have to get to them first - by boat.

There's a shore dive off Utopia Village if you're staying there. Or maybe you can boat in. (water taxi) Best Utila Diving | Utila Dive Resorts - Utopia Village

Deep Blue has a shore dive also - off the Pretty Bush dive site. They were having financial problems a couple years ago but I"ve heard that might be better now. Deep Blue Utila - swim with whale sharks at our all inclusive resort. Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras

Laguna Beach Resort actually had two. (3 if you count the mangrove lagoon muck dive) but closed permanently last June.

The link Colo Hippie posted is the best I've seen detailing the interisland options.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom