Better late than never trip report (May 29-June 6).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carlos Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been piddling around too much at work since I got back, finally able to post my thoughts.

Flew out of Pittsburgh early Wednesday morning and arrived in Cancun around 10a.m. Easy trip through customs and immigration, no lines (must have been the only jet at the terminal) and got my green light. It took longer to walk to the lines then to get through them. Walked outside and got my ADO ticket for the trip to PDC. No issues, no problems. Next bus was there in about 20 minutes, hopped on and was in PDC for the noon ferry. Again, walked right to the ferry counter and had my ticket. The sun was out and the beaches at PDC were amazing. Ferry ride was easy and nice, sat inside with the A/C, I have all week for the sun. First thing you could see was of course a cruise ship. Disney Fantasy. Got off the ferry, waited for my luggage and the taxi pounced on me. Good enough, off I went.

Stayed at PapaHogs motel. Papa Hogs Scuba Emporium of Cozumel - Mexico
$7 cab ride got me there in about five minutes (love those prices :acclaim:). Met Margaret who was waiting for me and got checked in. I got the single room. Very basic, but had all I needed as a solo traveler. I did my tour of the grounds and the piers, got on my stuff and jumped into the water to adjust my mask and cool off. It had been about five years since I had been on Cozumel, and its easy to forget just how perfect that water really is. After I hopped out of the water I got ready and ventured up to the Blue Angel (about a five minute walk) for a scubaboard meet and greet. Meet some very nice people, all of us had a good chat about diving, insurance rip offs and the storms in the midwest back in the USA. Had to get to back and get to bed (at this point I had been up for about 30 hours).

Woke up the first day to see the Oasis of the Seas in port. What a monster. After breakfast Aeries meet up with me to do my refresher. Did it at the Papahogs shore ``reef''. Quick, easy dive. Aeries is a great teacher. Very calm and patient. Ran me through everything I would need to know for the week and reviewed all the basic skills. Also told me if I needed anything just have the shop contact him and he would be glad to help.

Also took my first walk into town that day. About a 20-25 minute walk, but in that heat and humidity it really zaps ya. Toured some of the town and headed back. Grab some dinner at La Hach, really nice views, and went to bed early. I was out by 8 p.m.

Next day woke up and watched Carnival Magic do its spin and back into the dock. Headed over the pier and was met by Eddie, our dive guide for the day. (I ended up with Eddie for four of the five days I dove). Good, smart diveguide. Always looking for things to show us. Did the first dive on Dalila. Maxed out at 65', saw my first turtle ever, what a site. Eels and grouper. Perfect visibility. Second dive was on Cedar Pass. Great dive, crystal clear water and temps reading at 82 degrees. Aftet the dives, I snorkled for a bit before heading to Ernestos for dinner. Honestly, was very disappointing. I get better fajitas and cheaper ones at my local place. But you live and learn. Still good food, but now its all about the cruises and pumping them out as fast as possible.

Day three (dive day 2), we started off at Tormentos. Saw several turtles, lobsters and a few huge snappers that followed us most of the dive (must have been waiting for a lionfish). Second dive was on Paradise. Good shallow dive. Saw everything on this reef. Huge yellow snapper schools, tons of blue angelfish, eels, a huge white crab and several colorful shrimp.

Day four (3), we did our first dive on the Santa Rosa wall. Maxed out at 85', another guy in our group went a good 10-15 feet deeper, but I wasnt pressing it. Great wall dive, coral is in really good shape. More turtles and eels. Second dive was on Tormentos again. No problem with me. We saw five, yes 5, splendid toadfish, another white crab and several lobsters. More blue angelfish (some of my favs) and more of those schools of snappers. CPU put me into a deco stop on this dive, but no other problems. After we got back, I had the fish and chips at the Hogtown Cafe. Probably my favorite meal of the week. So good.

Day five (4) is when the heavy rains came in. The winds were calm, but we needed to stay at safer sites for the dives. First dive was on Chankanaab gardens. The visibility took a hit this day, but still good diving. Saw my first Lionfish of the week (I have one here looking at me now, so they arent a big draw for me), a spotted drum and some more vibrant shrimp. Second dive was on Chankanaab Shallows. The lady we were diving with really wanted to see an Eel. Eddy looked through a coral cutout where he must know one lives but didnt see him. As I looked I saw him on the other side, grabbed his fin and we high fived and motioned her over. The eel must have liked the attention because he talked to us for a few minutes before hiding back in his spot. Saw a couple normal rays, barracudas and a good looking lobster.

I told Fransisco, the manager, that if the rains kept up in the morning, I would skip the morning dive and hold out for the next day. I had an extra day to play with, so when I woke up to the rain I skipped the morning dive. Luck was on my side though, around noon the sun started to come out and the rains went away. I asked if he had room on the 1 p.m. boat and got my spot.

Couldnt have asked for a better ending to the dives.

First dive was on Cedral Wall. The Sun was finally out again and visibility was returning to amazing levels. The current was ripping as we descended. I saw three barracuda swimming in formation as I went down. Another one was right in my path and the current was taking me right for him. As he opened his mouth at me I got a little nervous, but sank down past him and he left me alone. We saw two massive turles, one swam under me close enough to touch. The other was resting under on a coral formation and didnt pay any attention to us. A rainbow parrotfish must have thought I had something for him, because he followed me closely for a minute or two before breaking off.

Last dive of the week was on San Clemente. Sun was out in force and the currents were calmer. Saw the biggest snapper school I have ever seen. Five huge lobsters in a row and the treat of the dive was a Spotted Eagle Ray. He swam into view, then hung around us and even circled around once and grabbed something off the bottom. We were able to hang around him for over five minutes before he finally swam away. First time I had ever seen one, amazing animals. When we finally surfaced all of us were high fiveing and nodding our heads in approval.

Rinsed and hung my gear for the last time, then packed it up and headed to dinner with some friends I met on the boat. We stopped for a quick drink at the No Name Bar, then headed to La Mission. Very good dinner, and topped off the week with my Mayan coffee. Said goodbye to my new friends for the last time, and headed back.

The next day I headed into town, got some cheap trinkets for people back home and hit the ferry. Watching Cozumel leave view sucked, but had a good night in Cancun before flying back home. No problems on the way back, except I left my vanilla in my carry on :no:, and had it taken by security. Ironically enough I just bought replacements five steps past the security lines and stuffed it in my bag. Flights homes and US customs and Immigration was easy enough. Got through Atlanta and was back in Pittsburgh by 9 p.m.

Special thanks to Aeries, Eddy and (Eric my other dive guide that week). Also my man from the BA for his tips and local knowledge and Christi and everyone on this site for their tips and advice for what to do and see in Cozumel. Im already planning my next trip. Depending on what sports I coach this fall it could be as early as October or as late as February. :dork2:

Im hoping I can add some photos to this soon. Thanks for the read!

coz1.jpgcoz2.jpgcoz3.jpgcoz4.jpgcoz5.jpgcoz6.jpgcoz7.jpgcoz8.jpgcoz9.jpgpdc1.jpgpdc2.jpg

Last edited:
"The lady we were diving with really wanted to see an Eel."

Sounds like me as I love the eels, but I wasn't there (yet... waiting for Sept this year). I can't believe you come all the way from PA for a week! It takes me 2 days just to recover from the travel. It sounds like you made the most of it - thanks for posting a nice report. I look forward to your pix.

Great report! Just needs some pics to make us really jealous! :)

Glad you had a good time at PH - I met Aries last year, and he is definately a GREAT instructor. I am glad PH is using him a lot! I think he and his wife will be lifers down there lol....they fit right in!

I will be there in a few weeks and hope I get to dive with him!

Thnx for posting

"The lady we were diving with really wanted to see an Eel."

Sounds like me as I love the eels, but I wasn't there (yet... waiting for Sept this year). I can't believe you come all the way from PA for a week! It takes me 2 days just to recover from the travel. It sounds like you made the most of it - thanks for posting a nice report. I look forward to your pix.
PA is practically walking distance to Coz compared to CA. On one trip I came all the way for only 4 nights. If that's all the time you have to vacation, you just make the best of it.

Yeah, getting there from PA is no big deal. Quick connection in Atlanta and I was in Cozumel, even with the drag, by 1 p.m. Thanks for the likes everyone. Glad I could add my take on Cozumel for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom