Beware!!! - BAD OLYMPUS SERVICE !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I sent my camera in for the C-5050 service advisory on the sensor problem. I called today to see if it got there OK. I was immediately told it was there and waiting for PAYMENT! I had called before I sent the camera and followed exactly what I was told to do. During that phone call before I sent the camera in, I was told costs were being covered by Olympus including shipping. When I called today I was told that since the camera was not showing signs of the problem that I would have to pay for the repair. I had to read the Official Olympus Advisory to the customer service person, tell her about my previous call and what was told me, and tell her that she better not hold my camera hostage before she put me on hold and came back with a new story. She said she was waiving the charge because things were "unclear". I asked to speak to her supervisor and she said she was the supervisor. I explained that several others were under the same impression as I was, that the advisory was clear that even unaffected cameras in the right serial number range would be repaired. I reminded her that the person I talked to before I sent the camera in was under the same impression. I told her something had to be done. Her answer was that starting in November all the cameras in the affected serial number range would be looked at on a case by case basis and she repeated that mine would be paid for. She refused to let me speak to her boss. She politely told me good - bye. I think I'll call the number on the service advisory again and see what they say.

Stay tuned for further updates .....

Don't let it rest, Yoda.
Things like this need to be addressed.

the K

I called the customer service people that are listed on the service advisory. I asked them to explain the advisory (before I told them I had sent mine in) and was told exactly what I was told on my original call - all affected serial numbers, regardless of whether they show problems, will be paid for by Olympus. He said that the ones not showing the problem should be held until January due to high holiday volume. After he finished, I told him about my last two calls and the problems I encountered today. He assured me that even those who had previously sent their camera in due to the problem would be refunded. He said he would note my problems with today's earlier call in my file.

I hope they get it straight someday!

Later that same day ....

The call I talked about above ended with a disconnect when I asked if these problems could be noted in my file. I decided to call back and make sure things were taken care of. I got a fresh customer service rep and I explained the whole thing again - he saw nothing in the computer record but my very first call. He shifted me back to repairs and when I asked again if this problem could be recorded in my file *** TA DA! *** disconnected again.

Can you say FUGI? :D

this is probably why i never get connected with a service rep today, they're all too busy with SeaYoda :), i will take in my C5050 down to the service center which is only a few blocks from where i live (if i can find any spare time with my schedule) but since my trip is coming up and can not afford any downtime for than a week, i will just wait until after my dive trip, keep my finger my cross that my C5050 will not fail me on this trip.

I think i would contact the better business bureau. and Oly will really not like you after the 50 page form and investigation that they have to go through. I would call em and file a complaint.

SeaYoda:
When I called today I was told that since the camera was not showing signs of the problem that I would have to pay for the repair.
SeaYoda,

So what problem is it they want to charge you to 'repair'? Sounds like it's time to take up the cudgels and beat some sense into the bureaucrats. Think Brave Heart.

Right now they are graciously out of the kindness of their hearts not going to charge me for sending my camera to them when it is still in working condition :D. They don't seem to be able to read and understand their own service advisory nor can they communicate between departments (customer service and repair).

I'm going to tie up the phone lines again this afternoon and ask them about the reimbursement of shipping charges that they promised - it will probably take several disconnects before I'm thoroughly aggravated (I don't give up that easy :D).

Don't touch that dial - we'll be right back :wink:

Yoda - just because you're only 18 inches tall, don't let these people mess with you. If you have to vaporize Earth to make your point, well, I had a lot of great years.

They have not seen my light saber routine or else they wouldn't be messing with me :laughing:.

Nobody asked about "FUGI" - Olympus customer service spelling of Fuji :D.

Well, you'll never believe it but I was given wrong information again! During the very first call I made (before I sent the camera in) I was told to be sure and include in the box the receipts for shipping so that I would be reimbursed. According to today's phone call, I have to fax the info to them - now I have to round up copies of the shipping bill to fax in order to be reimbursed.

These guys just keep making my day :banghead:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom