Beware Mike Ball

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it is true that dive ops in Hawaii will charge you more because you're from Jap-land. I've been to South Africa and have a friend who is S.A., we met in Krugar for acouple of weeks. He payed for one week at Satara, I payed for a week at Bergandal - he made his reservation there I made mine here - we paid the same rate. I did'nt have to pay more because I'm American. I know the rand has devalued and it cost me less because the rand and the dollar are different, but the rates equalled the same amount. Are you also saying that Australia is a poor country next to the U.S.?
I agree with greybeard, we should be aware of who these people are, and who they are discriminating against.

Caymaniac :boom:

As are the the government owned accomodations in most parks in that region. (Zimbabwe charges more for foreigners in Hawenge though).

If you are making a list definately add ConsCorp Africa and Wilderness Safaris to it... and the Thai government, they charge a higher rate for foreigners at all national parks (palaces and some of the nicest temples are National Parks, and many of the dive spots are in national parks, but, the fee is nominal).

Originally posted by Natasha
Hey Matt:
I couldn't have said it better myself. I can also add with the cruise lines it's the same thing. If you live in Florida you can hop on a ship for much less then I can booking it ahead of time in Chicago. That's just they way it is. I have a balcony booked for my next cruise that I wouldn't be guarenteed to get if I book it last minute when I get to Florida.
Kinda the same as Mike Ball don't you think? So don't put the blame on them.
That analogy doesn't hold, because the FL people get the discounted price only on last minute purchases. A closer analogy would be if Floridians always receive lower prices vs. Chicagoans.

Originally posted by Jonathan

I digress - the tourism industry round the world is just trying to help by giving people a set price in advance. How happy would you be if you booked a holiday 6 months in advance, something unforeseen happened that affected the money markets in one or other country involved and when you go to get on the plane or boat the operator says - excuse me another $500 please?
For the amount of money mentioned in this thread, I'd rather pay the AUD rate 12 months in advance and not worry about the currency risk or the much higher USD rate.

Back
Top Bottom