BH Oct 9/10 report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Had to work Friday and didn't leave Fort Collins until 5pm. Bad traffic all the way to Co Springs and then finally arriving in Santa Rosa at 1am made for a shaky start to the weekend.
7am Sat came quickly, but it was a beautiful day and we were ready to play. A quick continental Bfast at the Adobe and off to BH. We pulled into the parking lot at 7:45 and it was almost full. The spaces close to to the water were surrounded by huge trailers, vans, trucks and tarps. The concrete area was filled with tanks, BCs, and random gear.
There were hardly any students there yet, just the Instructors and assistants from various shops all set up with their areas staked out.
We parked at the usual picnic tables under the trees and set up shop. It was like running a gauntlet to access the water.

Not really any jumpers or swimmers. Pretty much just gobs of OW dive students from numerous shops.

First dive at 8:30 in very clear water. Nice dive.

Second dive at 10:00. People everywhere. Viz still pretty decent.

Third dive at 2:00pm. Stuff everywhere, people everwhere. 30 foot viz at best.

Night dive at 7pm. Parking lot almost full. Looking down into the water was like holding a jar of fireflys. There must have been 40 divers in the water and gear was strewn everywhere topside.
We waited around for awhile and then finally descended when the last group looked to be on the way up. We passed each other at about 40 feet which caused a bit of confusion for the group that was already down there.
The rest of the dive was quite nice with only two other people beside our group.

Dinner at Joseph's which is serving until 10pm on weekends. Excellent margaritas. Tasty dinner. Great sopapillas!

Sunday morning was a repeat of the previous day. One of the dive groups set ropes up which spanned the hole in a few directions. It looked like a spider web from above. There were probably 60 divers in the water negotiating the ropes course and hoola hoops. Divers were criscrossing everywhere between 20 feet and 400 feet. We descended through the mess to the bottom where there were no other divers at all and the viz was still ok.

Our last dive was at noon. The crowds were packing up and heading out. Very few if any other divers but viz was down to about 20 feet. Despite the suspended particles and reduced viz, this was the weekend's best dive.

Overall, it was a successful and fun weekend. It will be really nice to head back down when the weather gets cold and the group sizes diminish!

Most of the fish were hiding, but there seemed to be overall fewer than in the past. Only saw a couple of crawfish. The cow skulls are on the bottom near the grate. Very few statuettes or memorabelia. Venus was lying on her side almost completely buried in silt.

Her story follows.

So, Venus was buried with her feet and shell at the deepest point in the silt, which basically worked like an anchor. She was stuck and disappearing a little bit more every day.

I decided to do something about her once and for all. I brought a crate with a heavy chain in it and used a lift bag to bring it to the bottom. Then I attached the lift bag to Venus and filled it to the max. She wouldn't budge. With some clever(and stupid) coaxing on my part, I finally got her out and freed her. I placed her on a nice boulder and intended to wrap the chain around her legs and around the boulder and place a padlock on the chain. With depth of 70 feet and gas supply hitting the turning point, I stashed the chain next to the boulder and ascended.

If any RMOs would like to volunteer to finish the job, please do so. Venus is in a good location, the chain is sitting next to her in the silt next to the boulder. Tie her down! If you have an old padlock laying around, bring it with you. I told Stella that I would give her the key, just in case.

I will tell you guys how I pried her off the bottom in person! Funny story.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report Kent. Sounds like there was just a ton of divers at the hole! Maybe when we are down we will dive Perch (well we will definately do ONE dive there).

If Venus needs help when we arrive next, we can fix the problem.

Glad you had fun, but traffic sounds like it blew!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Venus is no longer at her previous location. I looked around and she is no place to be seen although the chain that was wrapped around her is still there. The vis was pretty bad with poor ambient light due to cloud cover and plenty of silt circuiting by the time we arrived late, so she my be hidden someplace. Time for a search and rescue mission.

Hmmm, why can't folks just leave her be.. she was in a good spot.

Ohh well, we will check it out next time we are there...

Anyone else have any news to report? I just don't get down there enough to babysit a statue!

I knew that it would be necessary to use a lock. Even then, someone would dive down with bolt cutters.

That's disappointing. I really thought that adding a nice statue would make for more interesting diving. The Venus statue is not trashy looking. She adds to the experience of diving BH.

Next time I'm going to bring an 8 foot tall 1000 lb Mars statue and use the winch on my jeep to lower it in. Venus is the Roman goddess of love and beauty. Mars is the Roman god of war. Seems like he would be more appropriate.

Maybe Mars will fall over on "whomever" is moving/re-moving Venus while he attempts to move the new statue and the problem will be solved.

I think some of the movement has been due to people who are not trying to do something evil, but rather don't take the time to think things through first. So a lock might help as they would have to think and plan before doing something stupid - again....

Another idea if another statue is contemplated is to epoxy it onto a cement base (large patio blocks or something) so it does not get moved and sits on top of the bottom. You might even add a sign indicating please do not move. The cement used for statues is injected with air and rather light to make it easy to transport on land and just plain to easy to mess with underwater. A heavy base would discourage this.

FWIW: I really liked your addition to the hole, it is classy and a nice addition to look at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom