BHB collection/protection discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like we are getting different information from the County. Wonder if Eric Call is Dave's Boss or vice versa?

Copy of written communication from 2011…

Eric Call
DIRECTOR
PBCO Park and Recreation Department
W:561-966-6613
C: 561-308-4081

Response from Eric Call:

Correct. We do not currently have authority to regulate harvesting of tropical fish at the Blue Heron Bridge.

Inquiry to Mr. Eric Call:

Mr. Call:

Thank You very much for sending me the map.

I also very much appreciate you taking the time to explain to me that the entire Blue Heron Bridge area is NOT currently afforded any special or unique protection with respect to the collection of marine organisms.

More specifically, that the Palm Beach County Ordinance which was spearheaded by Karen Marcus is not valid. You explained that specific Florida Statutes prohibit the County from enacting restrictions which supersede other existing State regulations that pertain to the collection of tropical ornamental marine organisms. From our discussion, I want to confirm that this fact came to light sometime in 2009 and that the County therefore has NOT provided the Blue Heron Bridge Area with any legally valid restrictions (regarding the collection of ornamental reef organisms) and that this area is governed only by the existing State regulations which are enforced by the FWC. Put simply, I want to confirm that currently, the County has no jurisdiction over the collection of marine organisms in the vicinity of the Blue Heron Bridge.

I very much appreciate you taking the time to explain this situation to me.

Dave is a man of his word and called back as he said he would.

The "no take" county ordinance is still in effect and remains unchanged. The only thing that's changed is that many park rangers were laid off and enforcement has been sparse.

He stated in the absence of Park Rangers, FWC and PBSO can help enforce the ordinance.

Wow...Wouldn't it be AWESOME if the obnoxious behavior of one specific collector ( who posts here) led directly to the complete ELIMINATION of collecting tropicals at the BHB!!!

This would be POETIC JUSTICE !!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Sounds like we are getting different information from the County. Wonder if Eric Call is Dave's Boss or vice versa?

Copy of written communication from 2011…

Eric Call
DIRECTOR
PBCO Park and Recreation Department
W:561-966-6613
C: 561-308-4081

Response from Eric Call:

Correct. We do not currently have authority to regulate harvesting of tropical fish at the Blue Heron Bridge.

Inquiry to Mr. Eric Call:

Mr. Call:

Thank You very much for sending me the map.

I also very much appreciate you taking the time to explain to me that the entire Blue Heron Bridge area is NOT currently afforded any special or unique protection with respect to the collection of marine organisms.

More specifically, that the Palm Beach County Ordinance which was spearheaded by Karen Marcus is not valid. You explained that specific Florida Statutes prohibit the County from enacting restrictions which supersede other existing State regulations that pertain to the collection of tropical ornamental marine organisms. From our discussion, I want to confirm that this fact came to light sometime in 2009 and that the County therefore has NOT provided the Blue Heron Bridge Area with any legally valid restrictions (regarding the collection of ornamental reef organisms) and that this area is governed only by the existing State regulations which are enforced by the FWC. Put simply, I want to confirm that currently, the County has no jurisdiction over the collection of marine organisms in the vicinity of the Blue Heron Bridge.

I very much appreciate you taking the time to explain this situation to me.

Staff Directory

Shows David Lil is Director of the Aquatics Division, so lets hope/expect that he knows more about the u/w portions of parks, than Call who is dealing with mostly land based issues and legal distinctions for land based parks....:)

Staff Directory

Shows David Lil is Director of the Aquatics Division, so lets hope/expect that he knows more about the u/w portions of parks, than Call who is dealing with mostly land based issues and legal distinctions for land based parks....:)

Isn't Eric Call the guy you've been working with to get the place designated as a sanctuary or something? I'm so confused? :confused:

Isn't Eric Call the guy you've been working with to get the place designated as a sanctuary or something? I'm so confused? :confused:

Eric was at the meeting. This does not change the fact that he has his hands in all things park related, and will certainly have departments under him that specialize in specifics..things like water based parks :)
I would expect that if Dave talks with Eric, Eric will defer to the expertise of Dave... If Deepstops can facilitate this, and if we get the answer we want....there could be a PARTY at my house :D
If so, we have an outside stoop for red-headed step-children and dumpster divers :D

Eric was at the meeting. This does not change the fact that he has his hands in all things park related, and will certainly have departments under him that specialize in specifics..things like water based parks :)
I would expect that if Dave talks with Eric, Eric will defer to the expertise of Dave... If Deepstops can facilitate this, and if we get the answer we want....there could be a PARTY at my house :D
If so, we have an outside stoop for red-headed step-children and dumpster divers :D

Great! I'm a redhead, so I guess this means I sit outside.

Deepstops is the mailman. He delivers!

Whether those collection rules apply or not, why would anyone want to take from such a special place? I've heard about this spot for years, I'm finally going to get to dive it in August and frankly it pisses me off that people would take species from BHB. You would have to be an absolute dick to do this. It should be for everyone to enjoy.

Whether those collection rules apply or not, why would anyone want to take from such a special place? I've heard about this spot for years, I'm finally going to get to dive it in August and frankly it pisses me off that people would take species from BHB. You would have to be an absolute dick to do this. It should be for everyone to enjoy.

Who says recreational collectors, photographers, silt kicking students and hook and line fisherman can't all enjoy the place (as has occured there for many years)? :confused:

Is Dan having a party? :D

Has anyone been able to get anything in writing which appears to supersede the information which I was given indicating that collection of tropicals etc. is allowed?

As for "absolute dicks" is that what you categorize all the hook and line fisherman who attempt to "take species" from the site? Since you have never been there, are you aware that this area is designated as a hook and line fishing area? Cleaning tables with running water and a specially designated fishing pier are all sited at this exact location.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom