Bicycle inner tube use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have read a lot of posts about using bicycle inner tubes to keep gear under control.
How do I attach it to a strap to use?
Cut and tie it around the strap?

Cut it width wise, about 0.5-1.0in like so:
Thread it over your webbing. The inner tube size obviously should be close to width of your strap. I used a scrap 1.75in inner tube and it works for stock BC's (1.5in strap webbing) and Bp harnessed (2in webbing)
Piece of inner tube.jpg

Exactly as the posters above have said - I have 3/4 of a tyre left which should give me all the loops I ever need. If not I buy the cheapest inner tube and I am good for another 30 or so.

Do you guys just order new bycicles tubes and cut them ?

Depending on what size I need.

A couple years ago, I saw a bunch of bike inner tubes on a clearance table at wal mart. I picked up a couple sizes, and still have over half of each of those in a box.

Also, road bike tires are very thin. ~1” or so dia. And I try to swap out inner tubes whenever I change or remove a tire. (Flat or not). So keeping a couple of those Round is easy. The small 1” tubes work great for taming the small straps like harness chest straps and even shearwater elastic arm bands.

Ask anyone you know who rides road bikes a lot, and they will probably have some used tubes to donate.

bike shops can be a source for their "throw-away" (repairs).

Performance Bicycle has a barrel that you can drop leaking tubes in to be recycled. I just go in and grab a couple.

Back
Top Bottom