Big Blue TL4800 vs. TL4000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharpshooter1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I bought the TL4000 and then they came out with a TL4500. Now, they have a TL4800. The heads are all interchangeable with the main body. Has anybody compared the brightness of the TL4000 vs. TL4800? On paper, the 4800 should be about 20% brighter. Just wondering if there is really a major significant difference or only a minor difference. Worth or not worth upgrading to the newest TL4800 head. Thanks in advance for replies.

Last edited:
I just don't see a big enough difference in the amount of light you are going to have to upgrade from the 4000 to the 4800. Now if you were to be doubling the amount of light that would be a different story but for a few more lumens I can't see spending the money.

This might be a nice upgrade: Bigblue Dive Lights

Last edited:
I bought the TL4000 and then they came out with a TL4500. Now, they have a TL4800. The heads are all interchangeable with the main body. Has anybody compared the brightness of the TL4000 vs. TL4800? On paper, the 4800 should be about 20% brighter. Just wondering if there is really a major significant difference or only a minor difference. Worth or not worth upgrading to the newest TL4800 head. Thanks in advance for replies.

Look at this test of the TL4000 and the chart of lumen output over time. First, it never does reach 4000 lumens. Second, the lumen output drops off precipitously over time. Fifteen minutes into the dive it's putting out 3000 lumens and goes down from there. My guess is that the higher lumen BBs my perform similar lumen shenanigans to get reasonable run times.

We Test Lights | TL4000P Test and Review

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom