Big Disappointment at Big Sur

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll post this in the NorCal and Socal forums since there is no forum covering the Central Coast.

I have wanted to dive Big Sur for decades. I finally had the time to do it this week aboard the Vision during on of their June trips out of Morro Bay. I was concerned about swell models calling for seven to ten feet wells for the previous few days but was assured the boat would be going out. I really wish it hadn't.

We left Morro Bay and headed north into some big rollers. There would be no sleep the first night. We arrived to a fog-shrouded coastline with moderate swells and occasional larger ones. Each dive presented its own problems.

Harlan Rock had surge and a snowstorm of plankton bloom. The anchor chain bounced several feet underwater as the Vision bobbed on the swells. If you held the chain you were dragged up and down too fast. If you let got of it you would lose sight of it quickly. With the current, surge, horrible visibility and fog you would not want to surface away from the boat.

Problems with the generator prevented Kevin and I from getting our tanks filled for the second dive so we took the opportunity to try for a quick nap. No luck there. The third dive site, Epsilon had slightly better visibility but even more surge. I made a short dive and quit for the day.

The next morning we anchored at Tide Rock. I was hoping for better conditions than the previous day but they were not to be found. The reef was dark and remaining in one place was impossible.

I usually shoot thirty to eighty images per dive if conditions are good. In two days of diving at Big Sur I managed to get six total.

_dsc0500-20big-20sur_zpsx3zfrljk-jpg.415430.jpg

A moment of clarity. This was the clearest and calmest minute of the trip.

_dsc0502-20bow-20swell_zpsimfeqmgq-jpg.415431.jpg

_dsc0503-20stern-20swell_zpssgfv6w1s-jpg.415432.jpg

Swells blocked out our view of the horizon

_dsc0497-20kevin-20crawl_zpsxk1jqjfo-jpg.415433.jpg

Kevin Lee struggles to climb the Vision swimstep. It's difficult enough in calm seas.

_dsc0505-20scooter_zpsw31x8gac-jpg.415434.jpg

During a trip two years ago a diver lost his computer and scooter. The scooter was found last week and it still ran. The owner didn't leave any contact information with Truth Aquatics.

_dsc0493-20epsilon-206-21-2017_zpstjjnhva1-jpg.415435.jpg

One of the dive sites

_art8014-20big-20sur_zpsyynkdyi0-jpg.415436.jpg

Urticina piscivora

_art8019-20big-20sur_zpshpmoyzzf-jpg.415437.jpg

Balanophyllia elegans, Orange cup coral

_art8021-20big-20sur_zpsoojjn85j-jpg.415438.jpg

Calliostoma annulatum

_art8023-20big-20sur_zpsknkwccvy-jpg.415439.jpg

Rostanga pulchra

_art8016-20big-20sur_zpsvvba1w3a-jpg.415440.jpg

Okenia rosacea

_art8009-20big-20sur_zps6tf4aetq-jpg.415441.jpg

Dendronotus albus

The trip back to Morro Bay was a bit smoother as we rode the swells south. A pod of Humpback whales put on a show for us along the way.

_dsc0522-20humpback_zpsiebtviud-jpg.415442.jpg

_dsc0515-20humpback_zpsfczeygz7-jpg.415443.jpg

_dsc0516-20humpback_zps2jqd7q7o-jpg.415444.jpg

_dsc0519-20humpback_zpsssyixaw3-jpg.415445.jpg

_dsc0543-20north-20t-pier_zpsovz88sy3-jpg.415446.jpg

_dsc0544-20fuel-20dock_zpscyfjrbf1-jpg.415447.jpg

Fuel is more than two dollars cheaper than it is in Redondo Beach.

There have been worse...
Many years ago it rained 13 straight week ends--
As I recall the year the Foss took on too much water and sank at anchor-- with out consulting the late Pat Smiths monumental works "Shipwrecks of the SoCal Coast" I believe it was 1958 or so

But instead of snow sleet and rain we have sunshine warm weather, and can some how manage to dive all year round

SDM

Hi Max,

Oh that is horribly disappointing. I'm so sorry your trip was a bust, but I appreciate you posting about it here. I've had day trips cancelled for bad conditions before but haven't ever been out in conditions where I wish they'd cancelled. I really want to dive Big Sur too, and almost was on a trip for this weekend.

The guy who lost his scooter, how did that happen? It fell overboard when the boat was underway I guess?

The guy who lost his scooter, how did that happen? It fell overboard when the boat was underway I guess?
I think they said he dropped them while at the surface. The guys on the boat were amazed that the scooter not only stayed dry inside for two years but still had battery life left.

Last edited:
There is always a week end camping trip to Jade cove---I think you can still reach it by highway from SoCal.

sdm
The road is closed from Gorda to Ragged Point due to the landslide. You may be able to get there from the 101 via Jolon Road but parts are now private road and you would need permission to pass.

I went last year at this time, the swell was more 5-8' on the dive days. viz was 10-20'. The swim step was rocking up and down 3-4' at a time. A diver broke his arm getting on. But, the diving is amazing, the place is so remote. We saw one other boat up there in 2.5 days. So its a crap shoot. A guy told me it can be blue and over 50' of viz. We didn't see any of that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom