Big Island Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manta dive in Kona is by no means "guaranteed", I went for that dive and not a single manta showed up, my son did this dive months later (different operator) - again, not a single manta.

You’ll be disappointed if you compare dive locations. Always enjoy what you see, not what isn’t there.

Love this statement.

I am just wondering if you consider the dive spots on the BI interesting, i understand it's not the reefs and fish you may see in the Caribbean. But it sounds like you see a lot more sharks, mantas and other species that you may not in the Caribbean.

In Kona, I would say that it more about seeing volcanic features that may be of interest, although you will see reef creatures also. My best experience there was when a school of ~100 spinner dolphins swam by and 4 or 5 broke away and swam right to me (I'm thinking my video light attracted them) and I was able to take some nice pictures and video. Not going to see that just anywhere. On another dive a monk seal was around our group. Again pretty rare I think. Saw a few sharks on a couple of dives, but that was it.

Along the Kohala coast, I felt it was different than diving in Kona. I shared a link to a trip report I made in Nov. 2019 (my last diving before the pandemic.) Five of the 7 pictures show critters that I had not seen elsewhere but saw quite a bit of life - didn't see any sharks in 2 weeks diving here but did see eagle rays and mantas.

Big Island Kohala Coast Trip Report

Might add that we did the manta night "dive" as a snorkel since we had 2 non-divers in our group. Having watched the video by the OP, it is not too visually different than the video I took - the mantas look the same coming up as they do going down - a difference, other than cost, IMO, is that if one is using a camera, it may be easier to work it planted on the bottom as opposed to floating on the surface while trying to hold onto a board w/lights and people all around you.

Think you'll like diving the BI.

I totally understand what you are saying. I am just wondering if you consider the dive spots on the BI interesting, i understand it's not the reefs and fish you may see in the Caribbean. But it sounds like you see a lot more sharks, mantas and other species that you may not in the Caribbean.
Get the book, it may help you.

I totally understand what you are saying. I am just wondering if you consider the dive spots on the BI interesting, i understand it's not the reefs and fish you may see in the Caribbean. But it sounds like you see a lot more sharks, mantas and other species that you may not in the Caribbean.

We did mostly shore dives. The dive shops we rented tanks from gave us great advice as to what would be good on that day. We did two boat dives, with two different dive shops, the one I preferred was Aquatic Life Divers. Super relaxed and fun staff, AND I believe both of their boats have a head! Which is a big plus as far as I’m concerned.

We didn’t see any sharks, which I was a little disappointed about, but I know it is possible!

The Hubbs and I spent New Years in Hawaii! Extremely pleasant diving, and even checked off an item on our bucket list, the Black Water Night Dive!

There is no yellowtail snapper in Hawaii:wink:

Back
Top Bottom