Big Island - Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lateralus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Going to Kona this weekend for a week. I wanted to know how the diving is outside of the Manta Night Dive, which I have already booked.

Is the shore diving any good in the Kona area? If so, what do you guys recommend I check out? Also what other boat dive sites are there, kinda curious?

Other activities I have booked is a Dolphin snorkel with my wife, who dives also but is sitting this out since she is pregnant so we are doing above water activities also.

Any other tips like places to try and see would also be cool. I have the Hawaii - The Big Island Revealed Book, but I always like coming on here also since I always get great advice from the baords.

Thanks once again.

old airport and pahoehoe for shore dives

there is some good snorkeling off the south end of the NP if you don't mind some backcountry hiking

Reach out to Sarah Matye at Jack's Diving Locker and book a Pelagic Magic dive with her.

KDC

I always use KDC. Great folks, great local boat dives.

M

Did 10 dives over this past Christmas/New Year's going with both KDC and Kona Hunu. Both great operations with nice diving. If you're looking for colorful corals, this isn't your place, but there's enough fish life, octos, nudis, various eels, maybe some white-tips, eagle rays, and lava caves that make interesting diving.

Definitely do the Pelagic Magic if you can.

Just drop down to about 40 or so, get neutral and "zen out" - you'll get nice long dive, all the small plankton-y critters will come up to the group. Don't expect to see anything large, or anything you can't see through. Pretty much the only solid things we saw were the small squid zipping around the edges eating what we lured up.

The largest creatures were the Venus belt at 3 feet, the smallest were some tiny tiny jellyfish, like 1/2 in diameter. Everything else was about 3-5 inches in size.

If you take it nice and slow, you can get 60+ minutes. I was trying very hard to be the last out, but then I realized I was trying to underbreathe a 16 year old teen age girl with fantastic buoyancy control :) We both gave up at 81 min, I swear she still came back with a half full tank.

I know that when I head back to Kona, the two dives I will book weeks in advance are Pelagic Magic and the long-range to (hopefully) the site called "Touch of Grey".

Pelagic Magic on its own is enough to justify buying your first underwater camera. I'm shopping for a GoPro, so I'll be ready next year.

KDC took my buddy to a site south where his buddies were about 200 spinner dolphins.

If your wife can handle solid food now - Roy's in Waikoloa is worth the drive - excellent food but pricier.
Roys Hawaii | Roys Waikoloa

We also liked Akaka Falls which I believe is sort of on the way to Volcanoes NP - at least we did both the same day. Akaka Falls State Park

We liked Jack's Diving Locker, but would think all of the ops are good. Great that you booked the Manta Night Dive. We did it snorkeling (had a non diving spouse in our group) but that's the way we will do it again (going back in fall.) You see the same thing whether the mantas come from above or below.

I'm not going to forget the dive site Golden Arches as we saw hundreds of spinner dolphins on that dive. Nai'a Bay had spinner dolphins also and a monk seal. They were great sites on the day we went to them.

We were also in Kona the month of February and, although we did a whale excursion, we saw whales on about every surface interval - 7-8 on one day. The boat captain will probably try to get you close.

There's plenty to do on the island. If Volcano National Park was a thought you may need to check on if it's open or not due to the recent volcanic activity. If you plan to cross the island and go to Hilo, don't forget to take diving into account as you will be going up in elevation. You get some great views of waterfalls and volcanic activity with helicopter rides. On the south side of the island you can find a green sand and black sand beach. Much more to see and do.

Have fun!

KDC took my buddy to a site south where his buddies were about 200 spinner dolphins.

If your wife can handle solid food now - Roy's in Waikoloa is worth the drive - excellent food but pricier.
Roys Hawaii | Roys Waikoloa

We also liked Akaka Falls which I believe is sort of on the way to Volcanoes NP - at least we did both the same day. Akaka Falls State Park

I'm doing a dolphin specific snorkel, Snorkel Kona Hawaii/ Kona Hawaii's best snorkel sites/ swim with dolphins, Kona Hawaii's wild dolphin swim tours! where they boat around till they find a pod and you jump in about 100 feet from them, not to disturb them but have them swim past you and maybe hang out. Don't know if it's necessary to shell out the extra cash for a chance to see this via a dive.

I will check out the food spots.

Valcones National Park was on the agenda but at the moment there is no lava flow in the entire Big Island. That is a bummer. We are going to swap Valcones NP with Waipio Valley small hike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom