BIG KNIFE or little knife ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

99heritage

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to diving (have done 3 shallow, un-certified dives at beach resorts). I'm halfway through getting my C-Card and have purchased most of my gear. I plan on diving pretty regular when I'm certified. I'm going to Cozumel to finish my Open Water. Along with the other gear I bought, I purchased a UK Titanium Blue Tang Knife.

I tried on all my gear (as I am ready to leave to Cozumel) and feel a little ridiculous with this BIG RAMBO KNIFE on my ankle. Can you guys tell me what your prefences are and why?

Thanks in advance...

I have a medium knife because it is great for sandwiches at lunch. I have had only a couple of occasions to use my knife underwater and had it been big or little wouldn't have mattered. this probably doesn't help much, but the big knife should be good with the ladies

First welcome and did you realise that you were member no 9,000?!

I have a small knife atached to my inflator hose and sea snips on the waste band of my bc.

Jonathan

Having a couple of different cutting tools is a good way to go. Leave the Rambo job at home, they're not too welcome in some of the international destinations.
A 6" overall blunt tip knife w/serrated edge is normally the heaviest cutter that you'll need, and stashing a pair of those $2.99 EMT shears in a pocket is also a good idea.
Hook knives, like the Z-knife are great for harvesting fishing lures when you get into an area where the bottom is paved with fishing line.
Last but not least, try to keep the tools handy in the golden triangle area whose corners are your breasts & bellybutton. You can reach with either hand no problem.

First of all... THANKS for your quick responses.... and as proud member # 9,000 I thank you all for your input.

I haven't bought a BC yet, so I will be using a rented one this trip, so I guess I will have to wear it on my calf until I have a BC to strap it to... but that sounds like a great idea.

I just didn't want to look as if I were going to war, instead of sightseeing underwater...... Do people still wear these large knives on their ankles, or it will I stand out like a sore thumb??

Most divers I have seen use EMS shears or a small knife attached to a BC. The Rambo models are occasionally seen and usually commented upon. I personally think they look ridiculous. I have 89 warm water dives and have yet to see anyone use a knife for its intended purpose underwater.

The BFK is a holdover from earlier days, when most of us got into diving to impress the girls and to emulate Mike Nelson. The instructors back then were mostly ex-military and they all seemed to be more comfortable diving with the biggest knife you could find.

Rules change and the monster knives eventually found themselves regulated out of existence. Selling the big boys in my neck of the woods requires a weapons dealer permit, something that no scuba shop is going to futz with. Much less aggravation to sell the little ones.

Then it turns out that the little ones are actually better - less bulk, easier to carry on your waist strap where you can actually reach the thing, less likely to snag something, cheaper, etc.

I carry a SS small knife with a serrated edge, blunt tip and hook on my waist strap. I also carry EMT shears on a shoulder strap. That's more than enough to get the job done.

Steven

reefraff once bubbled...

Selling the big boys in my neck of the woods requires a weapons dealer permit, ...
Steven

Time to move to a free state, or fire your politicians! If you consider this state of affairs "business as usual" the politicians power grab has succeded and you are now in a land of sheeple.

99heritage,
A knife is a tool, but a tool that CAN save your life! There are a few things that can be done with a little knife that can't be done effectivly with a big one. Eye surgery comes to mind here. In the water these situations rarely come up. OTOH there are many things you can't do with a little knife that CAN be done with a one. Just as you wouldn't use a tack hammer to drive a 36" stake a tiny knife makes a pretty lousy pry bar.

Use the knife that fits the hazards and jobs found in the diving you do. Low vis with entanglements a bigger knife may be better but a medium blade will do if it's kept sharp at all times. A longer blade has a better chance of having a sharp spot at the end of a dive cutting line than a short one.

I spearfish for rather large fish. A 7" drop point double edge blade for me is a minimum to reach where it needs to go for adjusting a wounded fish's attitude. For somone diving in springs or dedicated diving quarries this blade is overkill. It is NOT overkill in open water with fishermem about! Shears are great, until you find yourself caught in an illegal mist gill net. Then if all you have is shears you'll run out of air long before you get yourself cut out. BTDT :(

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom