BIG KNIFE or little knife ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an old Scuba Pro knife that might have a 7 inch blade that is solid through the entire handle so it works as a hammer, prybar, it has been a chisle and I have used it as an anchor to get a break in a stronger current off a point. Now not many of those drills could have been done with a 3 inch blade mounted to a plastic handle. I have never needed it to cut a single thing, with the exception of a sandwich. I wear it on my left inner calf and have never had it tangle in kelp.......my favorite place to dive. I also wear a safe knife thats perhaps 4 inches in length and its like a straight razor, and it lives in a pocket glued into the center on my wetsuit chest. It never moves, always in the exact same place easy to acess with either hand and yes the handle is larger in diameter so I can handle it with a gloved hand. I agree with the theory that one needs to be prepared for the unusual occurance, those are usually the ones that might get someone.
Bill, Dive often.......and safe

MFarrar once bubbled...
I've been diving with a big knife for over 25 years...seems like much debate these days over size. I don't think blade size is as important as sharpness. Hey...if you want to use a small knife great, if you prefer a larger blade, also great. Personally I don't understand all the fuss and argument over what is probably a matter of taste. I do think all the propoganda about a knife being a tool for digging any prying is nonsense. I have a crowbar to that such things. I good sharp knife can save you life...on land or in the water.

Hear hear, I wasn't going to say anything but after the 3rd reference about using a knife as a prybar... A knife is the most expensive and least useful prybar you'll ever own. Chances are you'll break it and then if you need it, you're pooched. Stick with a small prybar from your local Canadian Tire (or yankie equivilant). I got mine out of a bin for $4.00.

Just my 0.02 cents cdn
Cheers

No worry mate, my big knife came with 2 sets of used Scuba Pro ear that I bought maybe 15 yrs ago. I probably payed a buck six bits for it.
Bill

Whoa!!

You say your knife came with two sets of used Scuba Pro ear(s)?

Or is that just a Freudian slip of the knife? LOL

Remind me not to dive with the fellow who sold you that pig sticker.

:bonk:

When you get that nasty old mono filiment wraped around your tank or your fins (or heaven forbid wire) you better have a good pair of shears in your kit.

That Rambo knife looks cool straped to your leg, but tough as hell to get purchase on something thats tight to you or just floating in a cloud around you.

So dont leave me in charge of the typing pool. When I was in school guys didnt take things like typing and home ec.
So these shears everyone is talking about, are they the EMT type of shears or what are they I should ask.
Bill

Well you can spend $25.95 at DiversDiscount.com for a pair with an OMS stamp on them or you can buy a pair of industrial scissors for $5 that will get you out of almost anything.

Best use for knives and buddies for that matter is White sharks.

You dont need to be able to outswim a shark just to outswim your buddy, and if he has your knife stuck in his leg then it's a given.

Think the big knife would win here.

;-0

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom