"Big Miracle" Scubapro regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phocus

Reaction score
Saw the trailer for a new movie coming out in Feb called "Big Miracle". Noticed Drew Barrymore's character diving with a Scubapro regulator (2nd stage) that I didn't recognize. All metal housing, very classic looking design. Anyone know what model it is? Perhaps a new regulator coming out in 2012?

You can view the trailer here: Big Miracle Movie | Official Site for the Big Miracle Film | In Theaters February 3, 2012

Regulator can be veiwed at the 1:56 mark.

Looks to me like a classic Scubapro 109, a design almost a half century old and still as good as it gets. I use one, my favorite with its Mark V 1st stage.

Looks like it's a regular 109 or BA.....standard Scubapro from the 60's to the 90's.
Still the coolest looking 2nd stage around and they perform as good as they look.

From the video (viewed on an iPad) it looks like a 109/BA more than the A700.

It's a R-109 with what looks like a Mk10 first stage. It could be a Mk5 but it looks like there might be the edge of a rotating turret peeking just over her shoulder. She's also using a J-valve. Kicking it old school.

Picture2.jpg

I think it's a Mark 5 first stage, which is how they usually were paired. I've had my 109/Mark V since 1972, have used it all over the world, absolutely unsurpassed. I upgraded to 156 balanced adjustable status back in the 90s, and to an S poppet more recently. I don't think it's the official 156 Balanced Adjustable because it would say so on the cover ring. That thing is so clean it's either new or rechromed, which might explain the absence of any lettering on the cover ring if it is a 156. Or maybe Scubapro has begun selling new parts for this little wonder. :)

Her whole rig is fairly 'old school', though I prefer to think of at least the regulator as 'first rate equipment from the high point of functionality and reliability' over the term 'old school'. BTW, it's just 109, not R-109. That rig sure does turn heads and makes her look like a rock...never mind. :)

SCUBAPRO - Adj. 2nd stage - Time Tested Tough - Goes Hollywood again!

This story took place in the early 90's I believe, so I'm sure there was a lot more of this equipment around back then. I can't wait to take the kids to see this movie, it looks great and I remember when it really happened.

Ill ask the Dive Shop here that provided the gear for the movie. I will say, that while it was being shot, I got alot of stories from the shop about the film crew and requests/demands about the gear (mostly laughable stuff)

wonder why they went 'vintage' on her gear ? Given the product placement advertising opportunities in movies, they are usually 'advertising' the latest/greatest gizmos that impressionable customers will go out and buy right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom