Big Mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Who done something stupid ME me me !!!!
first I went down to 90 feet and set the boat hook to a wreck came back up and dove my plan !!!
Did I take into consideration of my little ten min dive no !!!
Did that put me into Deco you bets ya but I was prepaired with my pony tank ,
now what if I didnt have that pony tank ect ect ect yes I made a very stupid mistake but wont happen again thats really what this tread is all about learning from the mistake so somone else might not make it !!

Well, I read through the #12 sheet, and decided to simply skip the rest. I do have a couple of comments, and these are from someone who's never used a computer.

--Great thread for learning a bit more about the computer, how people are using it, how to look at the readouts, etc. I appreciate the education.

--Having said the above, and as an older-style diver, we used to talk about making our deepest dive first, then doing a shallower, second dive. I think that my plan on this would be to dive deeper the first dive (which was done), then hold it to under 70 feet on the second dive.

--There has been a lot of good discussion early on the thread about mixed-gas mixing with air in two buddies on the same dive. This needs to be thought about a bit.

--What we are doing here is called "incident investigation." SeaJay has volunteered to give us an example, and he should be commended for doing so. I cannot talk for others, but in a different thread about dive logs, I made the point that I started logging "Special Problems and Solutions" many years ago. I'd suggest that everyone criticizing SeaJay start doing that with their logs, and see what comes up. You may be very surprised. There are no perfect dives; ours is too complicated a sport. What we need to do is to track these types of incidents, find out if there are any repeats or serious situations that develop from them, and correct them for the next dive. That's how we learn.

--Several people have said that SeaJay needs "further training." Training is good for the basics. It can cover advanced techniques, but in reality every dive is a "training" dive if we learn from it.

SeaRat

Spectre once bubbled...

Do you truely believe you only blew your plan by a couple minutes?

Look at your depth vs. time chart. This is what it looks like in my eyes.

You ended your dive at the deepest portion at your planned time, 12 minutes. You began your ascent. About a minute or so into your ascent you stopped at 70. You then blew off your ascent, and dropped back down to 98. By the time you returned to the point in your ascent where you went back down [70 feet] you were over 10 minutes off schedule.

For a planned 12 minute dive, 10 minutes off schedule is very deviated in my eyes.

In case you're still thinking the computer was overly conservative due to being a couple minutes beyond plan... it wasn't. It's right. You blew your plan by almost double.

SeaJay you really never answered this. You were already at your 12 minutes when you started up then at 17 minutes you started your way down to 98ft you were still at around 80ft 23 minutes into your dive. Like spectra said double your plan.

There's one other point, which I brough up in a PM but think should be discussed that came from this thread. That has to do with the conservative nature of the Suunto computers. Some have said to use them only as bottom timers because they "unduely" penalize the diver's bottom time. I don't quite agree.

We don't know what we need to know about microbubbles. I have a friend who was told he has some "brain lesions," and did not know how he got them. He discussed this with a diving physician, and the physician asked for some of his dive profiles. After a review (I don't know what they were) he was told that he was actually "bent" not once, but twice. He was asymptomatic.

Usually, medicine takes a long time to develop ideas about problems. This is especially true about problems that have few victims (thus few $$$, and few researchers). I really do not like the idea of developing microbubbles; we don't know their long-term effects.

After reading this thread, if I do decide to get a computer, it will probably be a Suunto. If it is more conservative than others, I feel that better, not worse. There are things to do in shallow water too.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom