BigBlue Dive Lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to know how they have an 8000 Lumen light that runs longer off of smaller batteries than a 6500 Lumen light.

They advertise that they do, though:

VTL8000P - Batcell18650x4 - 3 hrs (level IV)
CB6500P - 21700x4 - 2 hrs (level IV)

How does the 6500 lumen light run not as long with a bigger battery than the 8000 lumen light?

They make very good anchors, though.

What is a good 5000 Lumen + video light with stable output and 3 hours burn time? I need 2 of them.

@CaveSloth stable output means you are basically limited to UWLD and Light and Motion.... Nothing big blue makes is constant output.
5000 lumen constant output for 3 hours means BIG canisters. You need these with the biggest batteries. I am truly unaware of anyone other than @Bobby that makes lights with those requirements. Light Monkey makes one, but it's HID and requires a 30ah battery so you certainly can't fly with it and will be more expensive than UWLD anyway because of the battery and then you have to deal with HID which is more annoying than LED's. No one else that I know of makes one because the battery packs have to be so large to drive something that big for 3 hours.

$2k each with stack caps
https://uwlightdude.com/product/ld-50v/

@CaveSloth see my first response... They don't. It's very simple, they're quoting theoretical nonsense and everything they claim regarding their lights lumen output is utter bullsh!t and always has been
tbone1004 doesn't like BigBlue lights. Many people do, however, for their price-point and reliability. Just don't believe their specs as written.

@CaveSloth as @tursiops I don't like them as a company. They almost killed a friend of mine, so it's just not a company I want to get behind and I truly don't believe they are safe because of it.
Their burn times are usually accurate, but you have to cut their lumen output to around 40% of their claimed lumens, i.e. what they claim is 8000 lumens for 3 hours is really like 3500 lumen for 3 hours.

As proof of the claim above. UWLD has some of the highest efficiencies on the market due to their driver choice, optics design etc. When he claims 5000 lumen, you're getting every bit of it. To push 5000 lumen for 3 hours, it takes 15x 18650's at well over 90% efficiency.
Big blue claims they can pump out 60% more light, with a battery a quarter of the size. Rounding that around says that they have a system that is essentially 650% more efficient than UWLD. That is simply not possible and is nothing short of false advertising in my opinion. Sure it burns for 3 hours, and sure they have enough LED's in there that COULD make 8000 lumen, but it is simply impossible to do it with a pack that small.
If a company is lacking in ethics so much to claim something completely impossible to mislead their customers, and then goes ahead and skirts around critical safety issues in the design process of their battery packs, it's just not a company I can stomach recommending.

Yeah, you're going to spend $4k on a UWLD system, but it's going to do exactly what it claims to do, and you KNOW that it has been designed properly that will let you sleep at night. You may only spend $1200 on the Big Blue system, but you have no idea what it's going to actually do, and I couldn't sleep at night with those batteries on the chargers or plugged into the light....

FWIW my distaste for the company started long before the battery explosion incident and stemmed from their false advertising. Originally my recommendation was to treat them for what they were and as long as you were OK with it, then they were fine. Since the explosion, I recommend against them whole heartedly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom