Bilikiki Honiara Solomon Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silvertip57

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey Folks just got back from a live aboard trip on the Bilikiki in the Solomon Islands....If you can do that trip then no matter what else you do, do it.

Great crew, great ship, wonderful food, and did I mention that the diving was just great?

:multi: we're pencilled in to do the solomons next august!

will you do a trip report with pics for us???

cheers

:multi: we're pencilled in to do the solomons next august!

will you do a trip report with pics for us???

cheers

I've put a few pics up from underwater and will try to get some above water in later in the week.

We made the trip from LA to Fiji to Honiara in one loooooooong day of flying. The staff of the Bilikiki was there to pick us up at the airport in Honiara. We went to a hotel to await the arrival of the other guests and the ship. We had a couple of hours in the bar/lounge to wait and talk and get acquainted....which was nice. We then went out to the Bilikiki and met Michelle and Monty who were to be our hosts for the next week. Our gear had all been taken to the boat already and we were ready to sail.
The cabins were all air-conditioned and had a double bed below and and a twin above. Very comfortable and each with shower and toilet.
Each of the long legs of the trip were done at night after everyone had turned in.....made for a wonderful rocking sleep and a brand new place to dive each and every morning. We were usually up by 630 or 700 to eat a hearty breakfast and have coffee or tea.........then the first dive at 0800 another at about 100 or 1030 a surface interval with lunch and another dive at 1300 and again at about 1600...........a fantastic dinner and a last dive at about 2000 hrs just to top off a perfect day.

Bring your camera, both Michelle and Monty can show you all the Macro stuff you want to see and the scenery above water is great too! You should bring either a converter for your laptop to download digital cameras or be very sure you can use 240 volt 50 cycle power. Plenty of room to spread out and look at photos.........the bar is well stocked but they make sure you don't drink and dive so after the last dive is good.

Have to quit for now. Anyone who would like more particulars pls PM me.

Silvertip

I spent a month in Gizo and Munda in the Wesern Province this summer. The Solomons are a fascinating place, and the diving, depsite the recent earthquake, is incredible. Mind you the Solomons are not really able to provide what most people consider "proper" tourism. However, for a real adventure in a culture very different from what we know in North America the Solomons are great. My time there really changed the way I look at life and I will treasure it forever.

Did I mention the diving blew my mind?

message for Alamitywife

Where are you off to in te Solomons next year? Liveaboard or land based? I go each year & might be able to offer some advice.

BTW - you gave me some advice/help to make lycra suits last year - thanks

message for Alamitywife

Where are you off to in te Solomons next year? Liveaboard or land based? I go each year & might be able to offer some advice.

BTW - you gave me some advice/help to make lycra suits last year - thanks

just caught this post.... we thinking next august and it will be land based.... i dont do boats :l: . hubby is taking a group from our lds (hes an instructor) and he hopinig to go over there in Feb for a look around to suss out the logisics

heheh - and how did the suits turn out??

cheers

Hi Silvertip57
I enjoyed your pics. What was the big fish action like? Any mantas? I am pretty much set on Bilikiki next August so am interested to read everything I can. What was average temp in the water?

Alison

Hi Silvertip57
I enjoyed your pics. What was the big fish action like? Any mantas? I am pretty much set on Bilikiki next August so am interested to read everything I can. What was average temp in the water?

Alison

We are planning on going again next August 12-25 are the dates I believe. Looking forward to it with a great deal of anticipation. We had an absolutely great time and believe we will again. We didn't see any big fish at all but there was enough other variety that I only missed it a bit. (I spent a lot of time in the Marshall Islands where I could go dive with a lot of sharks just about any time I cared to do so). The water averaged about 81 or 82 degrees F for the whole trip.....You can get away with a half mil suit but if you do all five dives per day a 3 mil would probably be more practical since you won't get as cold and tired. Be sure to plan on taking BUNCHES of dry T-shirts and shorts so you can dry off and warm up between dives.
There is always plenty of fluids to keep yourself hydrated and good snacks for btwn meals to keep up the energy.
I believe the period we are planning for is being hosted by some photographers (famous but for the life of me I don't remember who they are) husband and wife team and this should provide a ton of experience and opportunities to improve your photo skills. I'm still hoping to make enough off my pictures to buy a new enclosure for my Pentax DSLR. Can only hope for the best! If I can answer any more questions feel free to IM me or ask here on the forum so everyone can take advantage of the information.

Mac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom