Billion Dollar Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no gold on this wreck. It's been salvaged many times by several different expeditions, including a large commercial salvage company.

There is no gold on this wreck. It's been salvaged many times by several different expeditions, including a large commercial salvage company.

Seeing as you've been around this business, interacting with people like this guy, the 10X guys, Bowden, etc., what do you think possesses these guys to continue? Not necessarily with Bowden because you guys identified the Golden Fleece for him, and he's been successful in his endeavors, but this guy and the 10X guys who keep throwing money at something that's pretty well been proven to be a bust. Is it just the idea that everyone else missed something? Is it like a gambling addiction?

Seems like everything I read, treasure hunters, no matter how much they find, almost always end up broke or close to it, certainly not wealthy, because they always end up trying to go after more. Guys that are into it for the history, in it for the chance to identify something, etc. seem to do much better, even if they're as rabid in their desire as the treasure guys. Do you think it's a valid observation? Or more a product of how each of those is presented in the different available media?

Also, just found out you were a sound guy. Touring? Local? Need a rigger or a lighting guy on any of your expeditions? I'm an MA2 guy but I'm sure I could figure out how to run a metal detector :p

Seeing as you've been around this business, interacting with people like this guy, the 10X guys, Bowden, etc., what do you think possesses these guys to continue? Not necessarily with Bowden because you guys identified the Golden Fleece for him, and he's been successful in his endeavors, but this guy and the 10X guys who keep throwing money at something that's pretty well been proven to be a bust. Is it just the idea that everyone else missed something? Is it like a gambling addiction?

Seems like everything I read, treasure hunters, no matter how much they find, almost always end up broke or close to it, certainly not wealthy, because they always end up trying to go after more. Guys that are into it for the history, in it for the chance to identify something, etc. seem to do much better, even if they're as rabid in their desire as the treasure guys. Do you think it's a valid observation? Or more a product of how each of those is presented in the different available media?

Also, just found out you were a sound guy. Touring? Local? Need a rigger or a lighting guy on any of your expeditions? I'm an MA2 guy but I'm sure I could figure out how to run a metal detector :p

I can't say I know too many people like this guy.

According to a very reliable source... About 10 years ago, he (the eye patch guy) was telling people that it was silver on the wreck, and not gold. Now it's gold? Now it's a government conspiracy? This is a poorly executed made for television, "scripted reality" show. Clearly every scene other than the diving is well coached and probably scripted to some extent. If in fact they did find any treasure on this wreck, someone would have spilled the beans by now...

Me personally, I enjoy the hunt. My friends JC and JM roped me into this about 8 years ago. It's been cool, we have fun. I found a bunch of coins and artifacts.

Oak Island and 10x. Oak Island is a 200 year old hunt. Is there treasure? Don't know. 10x was just a possible location, and in my opinion, it's the wrong one. Similar to our hunt for the Golden Fleece, when all records put the ship near Cayo Leventado. Including this guy Hidden and Lost Treasures in the Dominican Republic who wrote a book and gave detailed evidence of why the Golden Fleece was next to Leventado. It's not btw... don't mean to spoil Pirate Hunters...

I read up on Oak Island yesterday, watched the after show. (I posted a critique on its thread). I think the original group of kids found an old block and tackle for a logging hoist or something. Everything I read about the rest of the hunt could easily be explained by natural events. Or by Pirates that sailed from Egypt to bury their king in 120 feet of mud.

It reminds me of the logic defying conspiracists that allege we faked the moon landing and are keeping it a secret, while the same gov't can't even keep a blue dress hidden or that they are reading out emails a secret.

A hard hat diver has many bail out options, first and foremost, the tank on his back. Just turn the valve on the side block of the helmet to activate. If he were truly out of air, he wouldn't have been able to talk. Try it.

I think the guy panicked and got severely bent.

I watched this show. I think there is no treasure. There have been many salvage operations on Republic.

The treasure is clearly at Oak Island, the Romans...or was it the Aztecs ?........buried it there next to the Holy Grail, Ark of the Covenant, the complete works of Shakespeare, the the original Ten Commandments stone tablet.

treasure hunting is like crack. people will go at like in spite of any logical reason to continue...
So is watching Oak Island, Billion Dollar Wreck and Treasure Hunter. You know it's going to end leaving you empty and wanting more, you just can't say no next week.....

The treasure is clearly at Oak Island, the Romans...or was it the Aztecs ?........buried it there next to the Holy Grail, Ark of the Covenant, the complete works of Shakespeare, the the original Ten Commandments stone tablet.
It was neither of them.
Everybody knows it was Sasquatch hiding it from the Ancient Aliens.
If you read the original Constitution of the United States you would have clearly seen that Santa wrote that extra special passage in it saying this is true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom