Bill's quick and dirty dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billinwilliamston

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just got back from a week at Morritt's last night.

Saturday, we went down to Sunset House to see friends and get in a shore dive or two. The fact that our flight landed from the wrong direction the night before and how calm things were out in Colliers should have been a clue that we would only be visiting friends, not shore diving on that part of the island.
IMG_20130504_123539.jpg
Thankfully the brewery still gives out free "samples", and the Batabano (Cayman Carnival) parade provided some afternoon amusement.

Sunday, Cheryl did not feel good, and we were supposed to meet up with friends in Bodden Town, so we didn't get in the water for the second day in a row (arrgh!!!).

Monday it all changed. We started with the sand flats at Cobalt Coast followed by the main walls at Turtle Reef and Lighthouse Point. Everything was in good shape everywhere we went, but not that many people dive the sand flats at CC, or do the swim out to the main wall at the other two.

Tuesday we went back to Sunset House and dived the main wall three times. There was absolutely no current, so we were able to swim out and alternate between going right and left.

Wednesday we went out with Tortuga Divers from the Morritt's dock. First dive was Black Rock drop-off. Decent dive, but we find the follow the leader bit annoying. Saw a man in a gray suite, so it was not a total loss. Second dive was Delwin's Delight (aka Lost Lens). Second dive can be unguided so we snuck off to the main wall. Highly recommend this if the current allows. Nearly virgin area of the wall with spectacular drop-offs. Saw the resident dolphin as we were pulling up to the dock. This guy is obviously maladjusted and/or brain damaged. He swam right up to the dive boat, flipped over and swam under the props. Way too close for comfort and, based on the number of scars he had, he doesn't judge distances that well. We see a lot of dolphin around Key West, but none of them act like this guy.

Thursday we went back to Sunset House for one last dive. Out to the wall again and turned right. A very nice way to end the week.

Viz was decent (60-100 ft) all week. Lion fish were more common than I would have liked, but the CIG seems to be getting a clue that not all spear fishing steals food from the natives. We saw several turtles, mostly young ones; the aforementioned man in the gray suite; the aforementioned dolphin; several very large lobsters; a spactular ring around the sun and all the expected aquatic flora and fauna.

I don't have any pictures from our dives because when I take a camera, I end up seeing the world through an LCD screen rather than with my own two eyes.

All in all, a great week.

Back
Top Bottom