Billy Mitchell Fleet U-140 June 25th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

w ripley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 spots are available on the Ocean Explorer out of Virginia Beach (Rudee Inlet) for a trip to the U-140. This sub is a part of the Billy Mitchell fleet, and sits upright in the sand at 265 fsw.

We're leaving the dock Saturday the 25th around 6:00 PM and anchoring on the wreck at midnight. The pool will be open to dive as many times as you like. As long as we're back by 9PM Sunday, we can stop by the Ocean Venture (160 fsw) for a dive (or two). We’re limiting the number of divers to 10, with 6 RBs and 4 OCs.

Not many people have been on the Billy Mitchell Fleet, as it's deep (the Ostfriesland, for example, sits right at 400 fsw) and well off shore. It's close to the Gulf Stream, so vis and deco temps are usually good there in June.

Here are two links of interest:
Billy Mitchell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Research Report

The trip is part of a VBTech charter (See Virginia Beach Technical Divers’ Facebook page) and the price is $295 per diver, which includes light meals, free compressor fills, free Haskell use, and a comfortable bunk on a nice diving platform. HE and O2 will be on board and available for purchase from the boat, but you should come already mixed. virginia Beach

The BMF is a graveyard every tech diver should visit. Send me a PM if you are interested in a spot. Solo divers are welcomed.

Attachments

• german_u-boats.jpg
    german_u-boats.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 127
Paul Lenharr - Does the man look happy.jpgWhat a HUGE deck for a diving platform..jpg

Here's a picture of the boat we're using for this dive, the Ocean Explorer. She's got a 27-foot beam, compressor, haskel, etc. Did a dive off of her this weekend (it was her maiden trip since moving up to Virginia Beach from FL), and found everything as advertised. She's even good for catching lobsters, as Paul Lenharr is showing. Still have a spot or two open on the trip to the U-140.

Oops, my bad. She's got a 17-foot beam. Looks like we've got a good group of tech divers going. Still have one spot left.

Looks like a great dive trip. I would be interested in the next one.

We may spend a weekend anchored on the Bow Mariner later this summer, or make a run to the Washington which is apart of the BMF. I'll let you know if we do. Thanks for the interest.

Back
Top Bottom