Birth Control Experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calle Roo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Aloha Ladies!

I know there were some threads regarding birth control, but not for some time. :blush:

Im interested in knowing what birth control pills ya'll have used, and your experiences with them. :huh:

• What has/hasn't worked?
  • What side effects?
  • Did you overcome them, or stop taking the pills?
  • Overall Comments?
  • Why did you start taking the pills? Contraceptive/Acne/Hormones/etc?

Thanks in advance ladies, and happy diving!

I take Seasonique and I love that you only have your little "visitor" four times a year. I haven't noticed any side effects (weight gain, skin issues, etc) and I've been taking the pill for eight years.

I will say that I've had more issues with cramps, fatigue, etc during my "visitor" now that it's only ever three months. It's not super bad or anything, just more than I used to experience when it was once a month.

I swear, I must've tried a a million different types of birth control...

First came the pill...I was on Allese, the OrthoTriCyclin (which is what I currently take now). It's a fairly proven, reliable method of birth control, but you do have to remember to take that darned little pill once a day at the same time each day (which doesn't work out well for me due to my weird and unpredictable schedule).

I've tried the "patch"...the one where you take off/put on a new patch each week, then go a week without the patch for your monthly cycle. I liked this method quite a bit, but it was hard to find a discrete place to put the patch where it wouldn't start to fall off at the end of the week. Plus, I developed an adverse reaction to the patch adhesive: No matter where I put it on my body, the skin under the patch would become painful and reddened. So, I had to quit that one...

Finally, I've tired the "ring"...where you insert it, it stays in place for three weeks, then you remove it for a week for your monthly cycle. This one was my favorite! I only had to remember to do something once every three weeks, which is pretty realistic for me. The only drawbacks were that it hurt just a wee bit to put it in, it hurt a little bit to remove it, and, for some reason, sex hurt when I was using it...

...So, now I'm back to the pill! (but I think I'm gonna give the "ring" another try)

Yup I started with orthotricyclin and did the patch too. I didn't mention the patch b/c I don't believe it's available anymore (at least I don't see it advertised anymore). I hated the damn thing anyway, so I'm glad it isn't on the market anymore. All that crap on the commercial with the lady swimming in the pool and taking a shower...lies. That thing would come off at least once a month in the shower, and forget trying to swim with it on. Plus it always bunched up a little and then stuff would stick to the outer edges and look all gross.

:thumbs_down: to the patch.

The only drawbacks were that it hurt just a wee bit to put it in, it hurt a little bit to remove it, and, for some reason, sex hurt when I was using it...

...So, now I'm back to the pill! (but I think I'm gonna give the "ring" another try)

Those drawbacks that you mentioned regarding the ring, particularly the last one, seem like enough to not want to use that method again, unless there is anything you can do about the discomfort. I imagine the ring should be similar to the diaphragm in that you shouldn't be aware of it and it certainly shouldn't be uncomfortable once it is in place. The only time, for example, that a diaphragm should be uncomfortable is if it is the wrong size (too big or small) or is not placed correctly, and a Dr can help with that. Maybe you can talk with a Dr about those drawbacks to see if there's anything that can be done. Good luck! :wink:

Im interested in knowing what birth control pills ya'll have used, and your experiences with them. :huh:

• What has/hasn't worked?
  • What side effects?
  • Did you overcome them, or stop taking the pills?
  • Overall Comments?
  • Why did you start taking the pills? Contraceptive/Acne/Hormones/etc?

Thanks in advance ladies, and happy diving!

I went on the standard pill when I was 15. I got terrible migraines from about this point on fairly frequently but neither I or the doctors put two and two together until a few years ago. Anyway, one doctor told me to switch to the progestrogen only pill when I was 21 and I have hardly had any migraines since (I am nearly 24 now).

Apart from the migraines I did not experience other side effects with the regular pill. With the progestrogen only pill the one of the major side effects I notice is that I hardly get my period any more (do we really have to use ephemisms for this people? "visitor" :\), maybe once every six months or so - one time it was over a year. The doctor said this is normal for a lot of women who take it. Also when I do get my period the pain is quite bad - I have never had any pain with the normal pill. Another downside of the progestrogen only pill too is that it is less effective than the normal pill (about 96% I think versus 99%) and I also have to take it at the same time every day + or - 3 hours versus 12 hours for the pill. Though if I miss it, I only have to wait three days for it to be effective as a contraceptive again, which is better than if I missed the regular pill (think it was 7 days).

I have always used the pill for birth control. No other reasons - never had acne and I don't get PMS or other hormonal problems.

I have an IUD. I love it.
I have done the pill and patch.

I think doctors only recommend the IUD if you have already had a child. The IUD can be 5 years or 10 years. I have had it for 2 years now and no problems. The cool thing about the IUD you don't really get your period, a little spotting if that. I still get cramps but usually not has bad and some of the mood changes that come along with getting your period. Overall I have no complaints. I get it checked once a year during my yearly exam and that's it. 3 more years and it comes out and a new one goes in.

I would ask your doctor about it and see if it might be something he/she recommends.

Good luck

I have an IUD. I love it.
I have done the pill and patch.

I think doctors only recommend the IUD if you have already had a child. The IUD can be 5 years or 10 years. I have had it for 2 years now and no problems. The cool thing about the IUD you don't really get your period, a little spotting if that. I still get cramps but usually not has bad and some of the mood changes that come along with getting your period. Overall I have no complaints. I get it checked once a year during my yearly exam and that's it. 3 more years and it comes out and a new one goes in.

I would ask your doctor about it and see if it might be something he/she recommends.

Good luck

Actually, I tried to get an IUD but the doctor wouldn't organise it for me as I haven't had children yet. Apparently it falls out of women easier who have not had children, or something like that. Anyway she was quite insistent about me not using one until after I'd had children.

i started taking the pill when I was 13 for irregular periods. They tried all of them. LoEstrin was the one that had the least side effects for me. When I was 19 my doc put me on Depo Provera. I was in heaven!! No period, no weight gain, no headaches.........but, after my second shot, I got hives. Of course they told me that I could not be allergic to a hormone shot, but i was, i guess whenever my hormones fluctuated, I got hives, and ended up in the ER with anaphylaxis. So stopped that.
Tried the diaphragm, great, but a PIA since spontaneity was pretty much hampered.
After baby 2, micronor(one that is safe for breastfeeding) i loved that one! But, if you are not breastfeeding it is only like 85% effective.
I was on Yaz, but....I was an emotional roller coaster and my periods lasted for 9-12 days.
So, after baby 3(see a trend here?) i just had my tubes tied.

Every woman is different and what my be great for some is not for others. I still think that men should have to take the stupid pill. It is also a pain to have to try the different pills because they always tell you, "you have to take it for 3 months to really get the effect". Whatever! If you gain 20lbs in a week, your first period on it lasts for 2 weeks, or you face looks like you wash with vegetable oil, then one month is enough to know that one sucks! Best person to talk to is you gyn. If they try to sell you on one that is always on tv, question it. I worked for an OB and the reps were all about their products. I say if one has worked for 20+ years for lots of women and it addresses your needs, go for that one! LoEstrin, orthotricyclin(original or lo). My sister in law loves the lo one!

Good Luck!

Last edited:
After trying other choices, I now use the Ring. I love it. No discomfort, partner doesn't know it's even there, I basically insert it and forget about it till it's time to remove it 3 weeks later. No weight gain after almost a year of use, no side effects at all. Seems to be a good match for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom