birthmarks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
First off I am sorry that I don't have a picture, little fella is just so darn fast.

There is a dive site that we go to and lots of times I see this one fish, a Gold ring Surgeonfish, I know that it is always the same fish because he has a "birthmark" on the one side. The pattern on this one side is distorted like the pattern that you used to get when the TV wasn't set right or the station went off the air (zig-zag)....Is that a common thing?

hey, nice pic

no real clue about your question, so won't say nuttin'

I'm told that this is not unusual for some species. Don't know if Kole tangs are one of those species though.

When we were in Fiji, saw a lot of Dot & Dash Butterflies. Then I noticed that on some of them the pattern was defective. I started paying more attention, and discovered that usually the defective pattern was only on one side of the fish, the other side being normal. I asked Gerry Allen about this, wondering if some of them might be hybrids. He said that this kind of pattern wasn't unusual and in this location they were unlikely to be hybrids.

Normal pattern:
dnd-normal.jpg

And defective pattern:
dnd-unusual.jpg

Back
Top Bottom