Bit the Bullet...First Bag Drag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For some reason, they won't give luggage tags if it contains diving stuff. I've had the same experience with all three ferries.

Interesting. Ultramar did ask if anything was fragile. I said yes to one bag and he then asked if it was diving equipment. Not sure if that was the bag he tagged. Waterjets on the other hand asked no questions and just tagged everything.

As far as I recall, every operator has always asked me if my bag contained diving equipment then they don't want to tag it and often load it somewhere else. I always figured they wanted to keep possibly wet stuff apart from other bags but I don't understand why they can't tag it. But I've never had a bag or anything in it disappear. The first few times it was a bit concerning, now it's just one of those amusing peculiarities.

Our experience based on somewhere between 90 and 100 trips on the ferry has been complete disinterest in the contents of our bags, with one exception on Waterjets when, about 3 years ago, they refused to touch our gear. We had to take the bags on board, and then haul them to the back. We waited until most had disembarked to go back and pick up our gear so that we weren't going against the flow of traffic. When the handlers saw what a pain in the ass it was, they invited us to use the aft ramp, and they handed our bags down to us.

The last three years or so, our bags have been tagged most of the time, whereas previously, it was a 50/50 proposition. This was the case with all three, and the two before Barcos Caribe.

My wife being a bargain hunter always bought tickets for indirect flights.
It is a pain in the butt.
You do waste almost an entire day at the beginning and end of trip.
You also DO save a bundle on a pair of tickets.

People watching in the change over airport is always good :)

Bag drag report:
Here is my report for yesterdays bag drag.
Landed in Cancun at close to 1605.
Got in line with hundreds for immigration, timer set 27 minutes, moved fairly quickly for the amount of people.
Next to luggage area....... and there it is first off and no line for yes......the green light.
Now to run the gauntlet of tours folks and timeshare hawkers.
Outside to the right are the ADO buses and to the left the private Vans.
On this trip we would be using CVChiefs van guy and he was there with our sign waiting.
Within minutes he has loaded our gear (about 170 lbs worth) (Geez I'm feeling more like Dandy Don each trip).
We are on the road instantly and I would say less than 45 minutes later arrive at Playa, with an added stop for much needed cereza at oxxo.
Now it is a short walk and the 3 ferries are at war with the prices...........Mexico Waterjets at 45 pesos was taken.
Luggage hauled down by the waterjet porter and tagged quickly, no questions asked.
Boarded and we are off......I'm guessing 30 minutes later in Coz and then there it is our luggage is out first.
Out to the taxi and checked in by 1900.
So about 3 hours total.
27 minutes wait in immigration.
24 minutes wait for next ferry.
A big thanks to CVChief and his van guy for the friendly conversation and quick trip.
Would I use him again...........a big yes on this.

PS: Sorry about the wordy report but there is a Norte outside and the sea is angry my friend.

Now it is a short walk and the 3 ferries are at war with the prices...........Mexico Waterjets at 45 pesos was taken.
Luggage hauled down by the waterjet porter and tagged quickly, no questions asked.

Last time we were there in June and did not see the ferry price so low. Wow that is great

Photos taken this past Saturday, October 21

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ultramar and Mexico Waterjets have both been charged with dumping. That is, selling at a price below actual costs. They have been conspiring together to force Barcos Caribe out of business. Then they can both raise the price back to the old rates. There was an article earlier this week that discussed the cost of fuel, port charges, etc and demonstrated that 45 pesos is less than the cost per passenger. The two large operators have been trying to eliminate the little guy from the beginning. They used political pressure to get their ticket booth in Playa shut down for not having an environmental impact statement. Enjoy the low prices while they last. If you support the efforts of the "little guy" then use Barcos Caribe and support them.

Thank you all for this great information-I'll be making my first bag drag shortly. I usually fly directly to CZM and get pesos after I arrive. Do the ferry companies and ADO take US dollars?

Also, please clarify, can I get on the ADO bus in CUN at any of the three terminals?

TIA,

Couv

Thank you all for this great information-I'll be making my first bag drag shortly. I usually fly directly to CZM and get pesos after I arrive. Do the ferry companies and ADO take US dollars?

Also, please clarify, can I get on the ADO bus in CUN at any of the three terminals?

TIA,

Couv

I'm responding assuming that the ivory tower is in the US, and that you'll be arriving in T3.

As soon as you exit the customs doors, you'll see a hallway about 15 degrees to your right leading to some restrooms. At the beginning of the hallway, there is an ATM. It is a Santander ATM, I believe. The fees totaled 30 pesos.

Yes, the ferry companies and ADO will take USD, but why would you? You'll pass the ATM before you get to the ADO booth. BTW, if the line is long at the booth, you can also buy tickets outside at a little stand in front of the bus stop. The bus stop is about 30 degrees to your right, and about 50 yards away. The long parking stall is unmistakable. I've always had better luck buying them inside. It's on your left as you're walking toward the exit.

Yes, you can get the bus at any of the three terminals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom