Bitterness of Scuba Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... more like flipping off everyone who drives an SUV because someone in a SUV cut him off. The premise of the OP is a pretty broad brush ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The original seemed fair enough . . .

So, how many instructors must one taste to come to the conclusion that all of them are bitter? :D
Actually, I don't think he did. Here's what he wrote in his opening post:
There seems to be hostility toward incompetence, a sort of arrogance, among many of the posters here. Most of the instructors on this forum are as nice as could be, but many seem to have a certain resentment or hostility, for some reason.

As an instructor myself, I didn't react well to the question Matt asked in the opening post because my first thought was "I'm not like that! I don't want to be lumped into that group of hostile SB members who are instructors! Let me set him straight!" However, when I looked at the post objectively, I read it as seeing that there are a few very hostile voices amongst a majority of helpful ones. The thing is that hostility is somewhat shocking, so it stands out more than helpfulness. The OP has proved himself to be an enthusiastic and prolific poster, and for some reason, this bothers a number of veteran members, among them some instructors, and a few of those have given rather sharp responses. I can see where the OP has got this impression. What's the answer? Well, I think in essence Bob's correct when he said in the very first reply in the thread:
... mostly it comes from the internet. I've yet to meet an instructor in person who feels that way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
Your point, I suppose, being that posts which are not mean are mis-interpreted as mean by the reader?

Nah, my point being that thin skin and a petulant whine is tiresome - and probably deserving of the occasional slight. Sometimes the old adage applies: newbies should be seen (at the dive site) and not heard (on the board.) Nobody doesn't want you to be part of the community but 24 dives means you don't have much to contribute beyond noise. Witness this thread. Remember, the first step to learning is to close your mouth and open your mind. The second step is to use the search function. :)

Nah, my point being that thin skin and a petulant whine is tiresome - and probably deserving of the occasional slight. Sometimes the old adage applies: newbies should be seen (at the dive site) and not heard (on the board.) Nobody doesn't want you to be part of the community but 24 dives means you don't have much to contribute beyond noise. Witness this thread. Remember, the first step to learning is to close your mouth and open your mind. The second step is to use the search function. :)

Yes we should all bow to your superiority almighty dive god.:mooner::mooner:

NOT!

Perhaps, perhaps.

All I can say is that "To the sender lies the responsibility that the correct message is received."

If a response to a post was unexpected, one has to consider, "how could my post be read that would lead to that conclusion?" (Jumped or otherwise)

To expect everyone to behave and write and phrase things exactly as you wish is delusional, or at least the extreme of entitlement . . . Internet forum or otherwise.
You just take people as they are.

"If you don't like the look of a thing [person, sentence], change the way you look at it." Abe was smart like that. :)

Brevity being the soul of wit, how about . . .

something along the lines of . . .

Dive a little more, post a little less?

Sometimes the old adage applies: newbies should be seen (at the dive site) and not heard (on the board.)

Having just browsed the thread for the first time, I can't help but think that such sentiments only serve to strengthen the validity of the OP's initial observation.

Personally, I like to hear the thoughts and opinions of newbies here on the board - it's refreshing, helps keep me grounded and ensures that I don't lose sight of the perspectives of those who are new to the diving community. As a professional instructor, being in touch with the novice divers' perspectives helps me deliver better training, in the appropriate manner, for the best results.

And yes, there are some very bitter instructors, some very insular cliques and some very big egos in scuba diving. It's easy to lose sight of that, when immersed in the community for a while. Hence, the need for polite reminders sometimes. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom