• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Bitterness of Scuba Instructors

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba' started by FPDocMatt, Mar 8, 2012.

1. tekkydiver

tekkydiver Regular of the Pub

I always assumed the reason was their ex got remarried!

Jax and grantwiscour like this.
  2. Quero

Quero Will be missed Rest in Peace ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Actually, I don't think he did. Here's what he wrote in his opening post:
    As an instructor myself, I didn't react well to the question Matt asked in the opening post because my first thought was "I'm not like that! I don't want to be lumped into that group of hostile SB members who are instructors! Let me set him straight!" However, when I looked at the post objectively, I read it as seeing that there are a few very hostile voices amongst a majority of helpful ones. The thing is that hostility is somewhat shocking, so it stands out more than helpfulness. The OP has proved himself to be an enthusiastic and prolific poster, and for some reason, this bothers a number of veteran members, among them some instructors, and a few of those have given rather sharp responses. I can see where the OP has got this impression. What's the answer? Well, I think in essence Bob's correct when he said in the very first reply in the thread:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  3. SDAnderson

SDAnderson Dive Charter

# of Dives:
    Nah, my point being that thin skin and a petulant whine is tiresome - and probably deserving of the occasional slight. Sometimes the old adage applies: newbies should be seen (at the dive site) and not heard (on the board.) Nobody doesn't want you to be part of the community but 24 dives means you don't have much to contribute beyond noise. Witness this thread. Remember, the first step to learning is to close your mouth and open your mind. The second step is to use the search function. :)

4. dmoore19

dmoore19 Denizen of the PUB ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199

Yes we should all bow to your superiority almighty dive god.:mooner::mooner:

NOT!

grantwiscour likes this.
  5. Jax

Jax Deplorable American ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Perhaps, perhaps.

All I can say is that "To the sender lies the responsibility that the correct message is received."

If a response to a post was unexpected, one has to consider, "how could my post be read that would lead to that conclusion?" (Jumped or otherwise)

To expect everyone to behave and write and phrase things exactly as you wish is delusional, or at least the extreme of entitlement . . . Internet forum or otherwise.
    You just take people as they are.

"If you don't like the look of a thing [person, sentence], change the way you look at it." Abe was smart like that. :)

E-diver likes this.
  6. freewillie

freewillie Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    At this point maybe we should move this thread to the whine and cheese forum.

Jax likes this.
  7. Diogenesdemar

Diogenesdemar Divemaster

Brevity being the soul of wit, how about . . .

something along the lines of . . .

Dive a little more, post a little less?

8. DevonDiver

DevonDiver N/A

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Having just browsed the thread for the first time, I can't help but think that such sentiments only serve to strengthen the validity of the OP's initial observation.

Personally, I like to hear the thoughts and opinions of newbies here on the board - it's refreshing, helps keep me grounded and ensures that I don't lose sight of the perspectives of those who are new to the diving community. As a professional instructor, being in touch with the novice divers' perspectives helps me deliver better training, in the appropriate manner, for the best results.

And yes, there are some very bitter instructors, some very insular cliques and some very big egos in scuba diving. It's easy to lose sight of that, when immersed in the community for a while. Hence, the need for polite reminders sometimes. :)

knotical, boulderjohn, TSandM and 6 others like this.
  9. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

Polite reminder:

OP brilliantly disingenuous.

Jax likes this.
  10. DevonDiver

DevonDiver N/A

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I don't see that. Just a different perspective.

I've found many of Matt's posts/questions to be thought provoking and have normally resulted in an active debate. I come to Scubaboard to enjoy active debates.

knotical, BCSGratefulDiver and Jax like this.