Black and White Striped Juvenile Lion Fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

old gaffer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On a dive at Columbia Shallows last week I spotted what appeared to be a Juvenile Lion Fish that had black and white stripes. Its body was about 3 inches long and with its spines splayed out was about the size of an apple. I have seen really tiny Lion Fish say no more that an inch long that have the typical red and off white stripes but this guy was jet black and really white! Anybody else ever see one like this?

Tom

There are different varieties of Lionfish, I've always assumed it's the Red Lionfish that is our problem, but I'm starting to wonder if more than one variety is in the Caribbean.

Most juvenile fish do have different coloring, and usually even different patterning than adults, that is not uncommon.

I do see them both, Juvies and in adults, with different coloring, some appear to be mostly black and white, some have more red on them.

some of the 'plumage' fins seem to be much whiter than others.

not sure if we have more than one variety, or if it has something to do with diet, or if these animals can actually change their coloring, like some other fish can depending on age, sex or 'mood'...

All I've seen in my limited diving in the Caribbean were the red lionfish. However I've seen a number of other species diving in Asia.

All I've seen in my limited diving in the Caribbean were the red lionfish. However I've seen a number of other species diving in Asia.

The sun was out and at only 25 ft depth the light was really good. I signaled to 2 ladies that were on the dive to come over and have a look but the dive master did not come over. Guess it pays to keep looking as you never know what surprises one might find!

tom

On a dive at Columbia Shallows last week I spotted what appeared to be a Juvenile Lion Fish that had black and white stripes. Its body was about 3 inches long and with its spines splayed out was about the size of an apple. I have seen really tiny Lion Fish say no more that an inch long that have the typical red and off white stripes but this guy was jet black and really white! Anybody else ever see one like this?

Tom

Could it have been an adolescent Drum Fish ? Or, was this fish hanging out in the coral similar to Lionfish behaviour? Although, Drum Fish kind of sort of do the same, swimming around or just under an opening in the coral that has a handy hole or overhang to escape to. At this point in time...Black & White stripes, splaying spines, apple size .... Sounds like a duck......ah Lionfish.... :letsparty:

Double S

We have seen the juvies in shallows ranging from dramatic striped to completely clear bodies.

like this:
Cozumel_051114_0392.jpg

Here is one on video:
[vimeo]11467191[/vimeo]

Could it have been an adolescent Drum Fish ? Or, was this fish hanging out in the coral similar to Lionfish behaviour? Although, Drum Fish kind of sort of do the same, swimming around or just under an opening in the coral that has a handy hole or overhang to escape to. At this point in time...Black & White stripes, splaying spines, apple size .... Sounds like a duck......ah Lionfish.... :letsparty:

Double S

it was in a small cavity where the coral met the sand and yes it was a typical spot one might find a juvenile Drum but it was not a drum and only shared its coloring.

Tom

This was a juvi taken there some time ago-----was in a hard place to get a decent pic of......Suckas probably 15 lbs now --if it survived..:)

7712199368_e0aee4c745_o.jpg
[/URL]juvilionfish[1] by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

We have seen the juvies in shallows ranging from dramatic striped to completely clear bodies.

like this:
Cozumel_051114_0392.jpg

Here is one on video:
[vimeo]11467191[/vimeo]

Thanks Robin! That looks more like what I saw. The body was somewhat translucent with dark black stripes and the spines were black and white.

tom

Looks like Pteroris volitans they have colour variations from midnight black through to translucent red.

Back
Top Bottom