Black Background macro for a compact camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mooseman1007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok guys, a technique question. I have been fooling around with my compacts (Fuji F100 and Pana TZ10) for a while now, and have just stumped up for a Strobe (YS-01), and want to try taking some more advanced shots, specifically black background macro. I managed quite well with onboard flash and an Inon Wet macro lens in Bali last year, but for fully lit pics (mooseman1007star's photosets on Flickr), but never managed to get any dark background shots. Could someone give me an idiots guide for a compact camera/strobe setup, as the majority of the info ive found is for SLR, and obviously I cant drop my aperture to F22 ! Back to Egypt in a couple of days so could do with some advice. TTL ? Manual ? etc
Cheers
Moose

It may not be possible in any of the "priority" modes.

My older Oly 8080 could do it in manual mode at F8 (minimum) and 1/500 or faster.
Luckily my Ike strobes could sync with the camera down to 1/800 or so with full TTL. If your strobes not TTL than it should not matter, just have to adjust the power manually.

You still require an open water background and not directly into the sun to make it work.

Big Jeff has it right..shoot manual and uswe the fastest shutter speed that will sync with strobe.Usually 1/500 works as long as there is nothing behind subject and not shooting upward or down..

As above, shoot in manual with the fastest shutter speed you can arrange. Background illumination is pretty much determined by shutter speed, while foreground is governed by strobe power, f-stop and strobe positioning. Use the smallest f-stop you can (f8 I think) and adjust the flash power (manual here too) and position.
Bill

Sounds like a couple of shore dives on my own to practice are in order, could even try some snorkelling, though ambient light may be an issue. Any way of practicing this on land to get my head around it or do you need the falloff of light in the water to make it easy ?
Unfortunately the problem with diving only on holiday. At least last trip I nailed the use of the wet macro lens, this trip.....The Strobe !
Moose

There are a couple of other ways. First the "duh"-night dives shot away from the reef almost always have a black background. Also, you can cheat and photoshop the critter onto a black background.

1. Manual
  2. Lowest ISO possible.
  3. Fastest shutter speed possible (that will sync with strobe)
  4. Highest f-stop reasonable. You want extreme underexposure of ambient light.
  5. Adjust strobe to get foreground exposed correctly.
  6. If you can't get foreground bright enough.. start opening up aperture.

& strobe positioning can help------This one works for single strobes too....Just scroll a bit on this link

underwater strobe positions|Underwater Photography Guide

also, this link will help:

Black Backgrounds - a tutorial|Underwater Photography Guide

That strobe position article is excellent...great for not so clear water.

The Fuji does not got to F8...but I believe it can flash sync all the way up to 1/1500 of a second.

One has to be careful and not use auto iso, or it will go to ISO 800 on you.

Due to the lack of f stops, that 1/500th suggestion may not work...would suggest something higher.

Sounds like a couple of shore dives on my own to practice are in order, could even try some snorkelling, though ambient light may be an issue. Any way of practicing this on land to get my head around it or do you need the falloff of light in the water to make it easy ?
Unfortunately the problem with diving only on holiday. At least last trip I nailed the use of the wet macro lens, this trip.....The Strobe !
Moose

MM, here's one 'practiced' on land......used the strobe position I linked with F8,1/500,sli zoom, ISO 80, macro lens etc.....

20110317001.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom