Black Beard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyleterry

Contributor
Reaction score
Any one have any thoughts/experiences with Black Beard Liveaboards in Bahamas?

My wife got this for me as a gift, but has not paid for it yet. Would you recommend anyone else.

I have never done a liveaboard.

I haven't been myself, but have heard nothing but great things from those who have gone. It's definately a cheaper liveaboard (it's most often refered to as 'camping on a boat'). You don't get your own room, own toilet/shower, limited to a minute of fresh water for showering per day, etc. But you go for the diving, and the diving is great.

If you have a few hundred extra dollars to spend, I have been on, and would definately recommend the Nekton liveaboards. Depending on when you go, they are priced as low at $1500 or so. Its not quite as nice as the Peter Hughes or Agressor boats, but there are private rooms and bathrooms, great food, fresh towels for every dive, a hot tub etc. Visits the same dive sights though. Hope that helps.

GO! You'll have a blast. I go on the Juliet (www.sailjuliet.com) but we frequently cross paths with the Blackbeard folks and they have a great time. It can be alittle crowded (22 divers on a small boat vs. 12 on the Juliet 104' sailboat) but they have been around for years and I've never heard a complaint.

jasondcrawford:
I haven't been myself, but have heard nothing but great things from those who have gone. It's definately a cheaper liveaboard (it's most often refered to as 'camping on a boat'). You don't get your own room, own toilet/shower, limited to a minute of fresh water for showering per day, etc. But you go for the diving, and the diving is great.

If you have a few hundred extra dollars to spend, I have been on, and would definately recommend the Nekton liveaboards. Depending on when you go, they are priced as low at $1500 or so. Its not quite as nice as the Peter Hughes or Agressor boats, but there are private rooms and bathrooms, great food, fresh towels for every dive, a hot tub etc. Visits the same dive sights though. Hope that helps.

from my friends who have been on Blackbeards.... Blackbeards is camping at sea. If the seas are rough it is horrible, there are "shared rooms" with little privacy, limited showers, shared bathrooms, and if you are okay with all that it is fine.
I wouldn't do it personally. Having unlimited showers in fresh water and a private room with bathroom on the Nekton is worth the extra $$$ for me. But, I don't need the fancy stuff on the Aggressor or Peter Hughes boats either. Its all about what is comfortable for YOU.

robint

I agree with Robint, I've always heard good things about the Blackbeards trips from folks, but know that it isn't for me. When we looked at liveaboards my husband's remark about Blackbeards was that it's like being at "elk camp" (hunting). That was enough to make me run the other direction!! :sprint:

I choose the Nekton boats too since they have all the amenities at the right price. Although I spend most of my time on deck with the other diver's on the boat, I like having a private place to sleep and use the bathroom. I also really value a hot shower at the end of the day to wash the salt out of my hair and skin. :blinking:

It's blast!!!!!! I have gone twice once in August of 2006 and once in April 2007. The crew is great, the food good, the diving awesome and the atmosphere fun. I am a camper so I have no trouble with Blackbeards. No, they won't be at your suite door when you awaken with warm towels and coffee, but what you will have will be a wild, amazing time. Also it weeds out some of those "I couldn't possibly share a bathroom with someone else" people, who are usually sticks in the mud anyway. I love, love, love not being told "see you in 45 minutes". On Blackbeard's it's, "see you at 500 PSI." This means lovely, leasurely 1 hour + long dives. If you are the suite type of person, then by all means avoid Blackbeards, but if you want to dive, eat, sleep and dive some more, Blackbeards is the place to be. Great diving and you can't beat the price.

A lower room on the Caribbean Explorer I is less than $200.00 more ($1,095 vs. $899), and for that you get:

Two to a room
Unlimited Water
A max of only 18 divers
HUGE dive deck
Hot towels
Home made hot chocolate after each night dive.
Great sun-deck
Two heads shared between 5 cabins. Neither my wife nor I ever had to wait for a bathroom.

I looked at both and saw the CEX1 as well worth the $200.00. We just got back yesterday and I wish I could go again tomorrow.

I was on the same trip with Thebes11. I say the same. I did Blackbeard's last year & while I had a blast, Explorer Ventures was superb. A step above. A lot more for the price. Blackbeards, while great diving & food, it was a bit spartan. I would say it depends on your personality. If you like the bare minimum, go with Blackbeards. If you want a bit more, go with someone else. something else to keep in mind is that the crews consatntly change on these live aboards & it can be the crew that makes or breaks a trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom