Black Coral (the movie) finally available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I watched the trailer. It definitely looks very interesting & well put together. I'm sure it took a crazy amount of time & effort for such a endeavor so I wish you luck. However, harvesting coral is against my personal beliefs (& seems to be condoned in the movie) & then seeing some of the crazy behaviors in the trailer (e.g., riding a turtle, a diver trying to catch up to a trailing line by swimming quickly with his arms, etc.) frankly puts me off of buying the movie. I'm sure many others will find the story too fascinating to pass up.

Proper training could of prevented most of those accidents. I saw that guy tangled in his liftbag! - the turtle scene is really what ruined it for me though - although I do see that it was back in the day, it's still off putting.

I'm a cave diver and I'm all for a good adventure but harvesting coral and riding turtles is not an adventure I would want to be involved in.

The actual editing of the move was well done though and it looks like it took forever to make. Good Luck.

I know personally how much time and effort went into making this film. While personal beliefs differ greatly on the morality of harvesting Black Coral the fishery here in Hawaii is legal, well managed, well studied, and most importantly sustainable. There are very VERY few men and women left conducting such dives. The decades of research that have went into creating this sustainable fishery are the bench mark for other nations trying to get a hold of their run away over harvesting. Black coral can reach minimum harvest size within 25 years and gets a nearly 10 year period of optimal reproductive phase before its allowed to be taken. The logistics and skill set required to even attempt these dives both top side and in the water is quite impressive. Especially in the treacherous waters around the Hawaiian Islands that so often seem deceptively calm.
While I'm not a huge fan of riding marine life some of the stock footage depicts behavior from a time long ago where less emphasis existed on the modern "do not touch" model most of us accept today. I actually enjoyed some of the footage of the diver in marathon distress mode. I prefer to move through the water with my fins, or actually dpv, but these things have happened in the storied history of the fishery and when your in the middle of a channel and your anchor is on the move you better catch up or be prepared for one hell of a surface swim. Most importantly this film captured rare interviews with the men who not only pioneered the harvest of Black Coral but also numerous diving techniques in the infancy of technical diving. They are the old guard and without such films their stories and perspectives would be lost forever. I for one cannot wait to see the final release. Congrats to you Todd! I know it was a lot of hard work.

I know personally how much time and effort went into making this film. While personal beliefs differ greatly on the morality of harvesting Black Coral the fishery here in Hawaii is legal, well managed, well studied, and most importantly sustainable. There are very VERY few men and women left conducting such dives. The decades of research that have went into creating this sustainable fishery are the bench mark for other nations trying to get a hold of their run away over harvesting. Black coral can reach minimum harvest size within 25 years and gets a nearly 10 year period of optimal reproductive phase before its allowed to be taken. The logistics and skill set required to even attempt these dives both top side and in the water is quite impressive. Especially in the treacherous waters around the Hawaiian Islands that so often seem deceptively calm.
While I'm not a huge fan of riding marine life some of the stock footage depicts behavior from a time long ago where less emphasis existed on the modern "do not touch" model most of us accept today. I actually enjoyed some of the footage of the diver in marathon distress mode. I prefer to move through the water with my fins, or actually dpv, but these things have happened in the storied history of the fishery and when your in the middle of a channel and your anchor is on the move you better catch up or be prepared for one hell of a surface swim. Most importantly this film captured rare interviews with the men who not only pioneered the harvest of Black Coral but also numerous diving techniques in the infancy of technical diving. They are the old guard and without such films their stories and perspectives would be lost forever. I for one cannot wait to see the final release. Congrats to you Todd! I know it was a lot of hard work.

As I said above, I do appreciate all of the hard work & it looks like a fantastically put together film. I'm very interested in dive history & love to read up on it so in many ways so I'm the target audience. However, what makes this very different (at least as far as I can see from the trailer) is tacit approval of all of the behaviors. One guy even says outright: "The way they do it, even though it's at a higher risk than most people would like to accept, is probably the best thing they should be doing."

I'd love to see the old guard & this dive history especially when the film is obviously of a high caliber, but not when buying the movie supports behavior that I disagree with & don't think should be glorified.

The quote "The way they do it, even though it's at a higher risk than most people would like to accept, is probably the best thing they should be doing." is from Tony Montgomery a marine biologist for Hawaii DLNR. He's referring to rules and regulations that require Black Coral to be taken by hand rather than dredges or mechanical devices. It's one of the factors that keeps the balance in check. He's not referring to unnecessary risky dive planning or execution.
I assume it would have been easy to leave out any "off putting" footage but I respect that the story was told from an unbiased stand point. There are enough documentaries out there that want to lead us emotionally and philosophically. Im a big fan of to each their own and this film does an excellent job allowing the viewer an unfettered look into the true reality of this micro fishery.

The quote "The way they do it, even though it's at a higher risk than most people would like to accept, is probably the best thing they should be doing." is from Tony Montgomery a marine biologist for Hawaii DLNR. He's referring to rules and regulations that require Black Coral to be taken by hand rather than dredges or mechanical devices. It's one of the factors that keeps the balance in check. He's not referring to unnecessary risky dive planning or execution.
I assume it would have been easy to leave out any "off putting" footage but I respect that the story was told from an unbiased stand point. There are enough documentaries out there that want to lead us emotionally and philosophically. Im a big fan of to each their own and this film does an excellent job allowing the viewer an unfettered look into the true reality of this micro fishery.

Good to know that the quote is not about the dive planning or execution. I obviously haven't seen the film so cannot comment on it in full, but it can't truly be unbiased when it's showcasing risking behaviors. By saying nothing, it's silent approval.

I totally get that some random chick crapping on your friend's film as he announces it is not the fanfare you or he would like. As I stated already above, I do wish him luck in his endeavor & think the film looks well produced. I think many people will watch the film & love it. I won't. I don't think you or I will change each other's minds, but it's nice that we were at least cordial as we discussed it. :)

Black Coral was discovered off Maui in 1958. Most acceptable diving practices were risky back in the day compared to modern standards. And so much of what is antiquated now was cutting edge then. I dont think the film celebrates or advocates "risky behaviors". In fact the film maker himself is a highly accomplished technical diver and CCR instructor with an impeccable safety record. But to not showcase the risk involved would be turning a blind eye to the reality. Especially the ones seen in the early days. And the viewer would be robbed of the totality of the story. Silent approval is quite assumptive!
This is a web forum. Certainly the last place I go to change minds. More so to spread ideas. And yes. Cordial exchanges are nice. Even though many members love to get out the popcorn for the hot button threads.
Todd is an acquaintance I met years ago when I moved here. I have no stake or participation in his project. But I do log a lot of bottom time past 70m and have taken great interest in our remote waters. We really are the citizen scientists here where so few people have access to technical dive depths and locations. Black Coral is the Hawaii State gem and I'm proud to be a part of it. The oversight and regulations have received praise from prominent scientists including Sylvia Earle for the sustainable method in which it is managed and harvested. And it produces many job opportunities in a state where the cost of living is staggering. It is a controversial issue especially among conservationists but complicated issues are always deeper than they appear. We don't know what we don't know.

What a grand movie this is. A step back into earlier days of diving when recreational diving was considered "macho" and daring. And diving to depths of 180 to 240 and deeper on a daily basis to make a living while swinging a 10 or 12 lb. sledge hammer against a hatchet while trying to maintain some semblance of conciousness could be discribed with one word.....INSANE.....
But that's the reality of it. Some of us are not content anywhere but on the edge of a frontier, and always going "a little deeper, and then a little deeper". The self described "random chick" from New York will never know what it's like drifting alone, deep in a bottomless blue sea for hours on end, just waiting for something big to slide into view. It is peaceful magic. Hope the "chick" buys the movie. It is magic!

Looking forward to receiving my copy of Black Coral, always on the look out for good quality diving and underwater exploration docos. I have also developed my own personal interest in black coral having recently discovered a species of black coral tree in my local waters in depths of 150- 200ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom