Black Eyes & Aqua-seal ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DI_Guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a dive mask that allows you to change the lenses and replace them with prescription lenses. I did so and developed a small leak. I redid the lens installation and used some AQUA-SEAL to seal the leak. I washed them thoroughly.

I had used the mask for several dives before and had no problems. After the AQUA-SEAL repair, I get a reaction.

The underside of both my eyes turn black about one hour after the dive and it lasts about two days. It looks like someone punched me out. I have switched between this mask and my back-up mask over the last few dives and it's definitely the mask with the AQUA-SEAL.

The repair was done one month ago and was well flushed and cleaned.

There is never an irritation to my eyes or vision, just the BLACK EYE effect. I am going to soak the mask for a few days and try it again.

Has anyone ever reacted to AQUA-SEAL around their skin.

Somewhat embarrassed (lol) DI_Guy

I've seen the same effect on a diver who forgot (?) to compensate properly his mask. The day after that dive his face looked like a panda bear :)

Scubakevdm:
Could you be getting a squeeze from a perfect seal job?

Wouldn't it be a mask without a perfect seal causing that problem?

Meaning if he has air escaping through the lens then he can't keep it equalized by adding air, which would cause a squeeze.

Kriterian:
Wouldn't it be a mask without a perfect seal causing that problem?

Meaning if he has air escaping through the lens then he can't keep it equalized by adding air, which would cause a squeeze.

Nah, usually water goes in if there's not a good seal, then the mask would have to be cleared which would equalize the pressure.

Hi all:

I didn't think it was mask squeeze because I tend blow out through my nose to equalize the squeeze. My mask did not cause the black eyes effect prior to the lens exchange and reseal.

I thought maybe the aqua-seal had residual petrolieum distallits (spelling ?) that leach out even after a month. My actual eyes are never irritated just the skin below is blackened. I'm going to give the mask a good flush.

Thanks for the comments, I'll make sure the mask squeeze is not the problem.

DI_Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom