black ice bcd bouyancy and weighting advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travis Bourbeau

Registered
Reaction score
Tried my black ice for the first time today wearing a aqualung semidry 8/7 and seemed to have a lot of trouble with bouyancy.

It's my first class with great people but hard to focus. Basicly my bcd was completely deflated the entire class but I couldn't seem to keep from floating up. I'm using 21 pounds im 6 foot and weight about 195. .. the back pockets( on back of bcd are empty and wondered if anyone had advice on wieght amount and distribution between weight locations. I trust my instructor but curios if anyones used the semi dry 8/7 and black ice im thinking the suits making it too boyant

Any help is welcome .

I assume the suit is new and therefore its buoyancy is causing you some issues.

I am using a new 7mm semi dry at the moment and although shorter than you at 5'7" and weighing in at 148 lbs I am using 14 lbs weight including 2 x 1 lb ankle weights (12 lbs on weight belt). I also carry a housed SLR and a 30 cu ft pony and this configuration is about perfect for me, however I am looking at dropping another two lbs off the weightbelt. The aforementioned configuration is with a wing and AL80.

My advice is to add a bit more weight, use the back pockets by all means, try ankle weights too if you find your feet floating up. It took me two dives to sort out my weighting with this suit, as a newbie your learning curve is much steeper, however do not ignore your instructor.

I started out with about 26lb.s 26'2"/210lb. in a 9/8/6 wetsuit.As my comfort level went up my weight went down & as my suit compressed even more.Now I'm at 18-20lb.s And if your diving an AL tank you might notice its a little harder to stay down towards end of dives, but you'll work it out in time.(You might want to try 2-4lb.s on your tank band if you feel your legs down instead of horizontal )

Do a bouyancy check with an empty (500 psi) tank. Easiest way to do it. Empty BC, hold normal breath. You should float at eye level. If not, adjust weight until you do.

Weighting is one of those things where it takes what it takes. Doing a formal weight check is the way to solve the problem, and you may end up carrying more weight than you would think you need.

There are ways of decreasing the total weight of your rig, like going to steel tanks. But you have to figure out the weight for what you are currently diving, and then just provide it. Nothing more annoying (and potentially dangerous) than being underweighted.

Only thing more dangerous than underweighted is overweighted. But not by a few pounds. It's when someone is using 8-10 lbs or more than they really need. If you are still in class one thing that should have been covered right off the bat is how to properly weight yourself. It is the very first thing I do in OW classes after the swim tests and snorkel/free diving skills.

My procedure is as follows:
1. Put on the exposure protection you are going to be using with just your mask, snorkel, boots, and fins.
2. Take an empty weight belt and add roughly 10% of your body weight if in a 5-7 mil or heavier suit.
3. Get in the water and while I am holding onto the person's hand have them just step into the deep end from the shallow and exhale. If they don't sink add a little weight. Repeat until the just start to slowly sink. Or if they drop like a stone remove weight.
4. Next add the Scuba unit.
5. Take time to have them breathe with it by placing their face in the water to get used to it. Remind them again about equalizing.
6. Repeat the same steps as above. They should keep the weight belt on and I will either add to the integrated pockets if the BC has them, trim pockets, and/or pockets of the BC itself until the desired results occurr.
7. Once this has been done I have them layout on the surface of the water with air in the BC and in the shallow end dump air from the BC so they settle down to the bottom gently in a horizontal position.
8. If they don't we add just a couple more pounds.
9. Then just lay there and breathe to get used to the feeling of doing it.
10. Then we start working on buoyancy control. I have them breathe deeper and try to feel the increased buoyancy and decrease as they exhale.
11. Use of the inflate deflate buttons.
12. Move to the transition between the shallow and deep ends and begin work on achieving neutral buoyancy with just fin tips resting on the shallow step or slope.
13. Basic skills in this position neutral and horizontal,.
14. Swim and repeat the skills.
15. About halfway through the session we do another weight check.
16. End of session we repeat the weight check with a tank that is now around half full. And should add that here we begin to look at distributing the weights for optimal trim.
17. Document the weighting in their log.
Next session they begin with what they had at the end of the last session but I make sure I have a few tanks that are around 500-700 PSI by the end of this one so they can repeat the checks.
All subsequent sessions begin with them doing weight checks at beginning and end. So by the time we get to checkouts I expect them to know their weighting requirements and ask for the correct amount.
Now we are in a freshwater location so I do spend time going over the added requirements for saltwater. And add that their first saltwater dives should always be done in a location where they can do the checks as they have been taught before going out on actual dives.

I've got a black ice, and I would certainly recommend putting a couple fives in the trim (back) pockets. It reduces the weight on your hips, helping trim, and will balance you out on the surface as well.

Lift comes from your volume displacement. Muscle and bone are denser than fat. (In fresh water a pound of fat floats and a pound of muscle and bone do not). So two people who weigh the same can generate different lift. That can make a few pounds differnce. Also Different BCDs can have different characteristics. I had a semi-dry that was really dry. There would be air pockets in it until I got down to more depth than you see in shallow water. On top of that there can be differences in lung volume.

So don't worry too much about rules of thumb. Do the careful weight checks as described above. I prefer the ones with 500 psi.

Back
Top Bottom