Black Pearl Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jl in ca

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I recently acquired a used Apeks Black Pearl reg set. At a minimum I believe it will need a full overhaul. I haven’t had it on a tank yet but I base that on exterior condition - I can find that service easy enough here in Southern California (LA area, open to reco’s though).

The real question is regarding possible refinish on exterior. The finish is worn and some vertigris around the graphic. At a minimum I want to stop it from getting worse but open to refinish as long as it’s consistent with the original color. I can be without it for a bit while shipping too. Any advice is appreciated.
CB99A47B-101A-4923-9E36-B0E7FD4C5ED6.jpeg
D4165F9C-962B-4325-8E2C-A93DA872DBED.jpeg
F6411A68-526C-4BCC-AAD7-2D0A0A6DA1B0.jpeg

Attachments

• BC08E1FD-4255-4D11-97DD-238E4EC8169A.jpeg
    BC08E1FD-4255-4D11-97DD-238E4EC8169A.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 262
Wait until it comes back from a service with a nice long bath in an ultrasonic cleaner before you commit to any refinishing.

I never bother with any of my existing Apeks stock. It is the HP section inside the body that I usually worry for corrosion.
Slight corrosion around the graphic? Neglect from previous owner?
FSR comes with ARCAP so it is replaceable.

I never bother with any of my existing Apeks stock. It is the HP section inside the body that I usually worry for corrosion.
Slight corrosion around the graphic? Neglect from previous owner?
FSR comes with ARCAP so it is replaceable.
It’s an eBay find I took a flyer on cause the price was right. Non-diver seller so I’m assuming neglect, poor storage, etc. Anything short of that is upside. Guess I’ll know more after the service and go from there. Excited to have it in any case.

You can actually take a look at the HP section by using a suitable allen key(6mm), to remove the HP plug at the top.
Plenty info on line and may be even in youtube.

I would do that before sending it away for service. If it is heavily corroded then you really have to reconsider having it serviced.

Good luck.

Quick update - reg was better than expected. It’s in for service but certainly won’t need a refinish - no leaks and worked in general ambient. Tech will inspect and service/replace as necessary. I also had no idea how unique it’s finish was. Would have been more complicated than a re-chrome for sure. The 2nd stage front cover has some small cracks on the edges. You can see them in the photo above. Not sure I can get an exact replacement (it has metal accents vs just all black). Also the end of the venturi adjustment is missing - it’s just a threaded cover to access an allen screw and doesn’t seem unique to BP. Other than that, insides of first stage look clean. Horse are food, etc. if anyone knows of possible source for the cover I would appreciate it otherwise I’ll update when back from service. My son (his BD present) was happy!

1. You should be able to replace the cover if really necessary.
2. A simple rubber cover to stop anyone messing with the micro adjustor. Mine is also missing.

Genuine Apeks spare is only from authorized dealer and most of them would not have the stock.
Check it on line.

Your son will forget about upgrading for many many yrs! Big saving for him/you!
My Apeks is 24 yrs old and still going strong.

1. You should be able to replace the cover if really necessary.
2. A simple rubber cover to stop anyone messing with the micro adjustor. Mine is also missing.

Genuine Apeks spare is only from authorized dealer and most of them would not have the stock.
Check it on line.

Your son will forget about upgrading for many many yrs! Big saving for him/you!
My Apeks is 24 yrs old and still going strong.

thanks - yes, I’m kind of jealous but not enough to trade him. My service center is also an authorized dealer but I’ll keep looking on line too. I agree they will likely need to order it. Parts have been taking a long time but better than a few months ago. I have the tech manual somewhere with part numbers but I’m guessing he has them too. I’ll know more Wednesday when it in theory will be ready.

Good luck.

Apeks reg is dead easy to service. And no special tool is required. The only issue is the service kits(1st and 2nd) because it is only available through authorized dealers and they not allowed to sell it to the general public. However, there is a way round it. Look it up.
I serviced all my Apeks regs myself and must have saved quite a lot of money especially I have 5 sets(rec and tec).

Enjoy

Closing the thread - reg came back from service functionally ready to go for $100 so that was great. Well worth the eBay buy. Visually the first stage was looking better but not perfect. My son used a little 50/50 vinegar solution and a toothpick to carefully persuade the rest of the corrosion from the nooks of the raised graphic on the first stage and it looks great!

Working on finding a replacement cover but tech said it wasn’t a must at this time.

After watching the video, I’m sure I could do my own service and may down the road but feel a lot better about having a pro check out the used gear before handing it to my 15yo son and heading down for the first time with it.

Leaving Thursday with my family (my wife and two teen boys) for a 9 day Socorro trip. Very much looking forward to it! Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom